Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Homemade Healthy Sloppy Joes

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 29 Replies
1 mom liked this

A while back some of you recommended I check out the book Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld. The book details how to sneak vegetables into your kids' diet via purees added to healthier versions of kid classics, like mac and cheese or hamburgers. I bought the book, and it is full of genius ideas. My new favorite quick meal is her Sloppy Joe recipe. In the book she uses pureed sweet potato, but if you are lazy and don't feel like dirtying the food processor just use some canned pumpkin puree. If you have picky eaters, I highly recommend you check this book out.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 onion, minced

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb ground turkey

1/2 cup red pepper puree, or really finely minced red pepper

1/2 cup pureed sweet potato or canned pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)

1/2 cup veggie, beef or chicken stock

6 ounces tomato paste

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

In a pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the ground turkey and cook through, stirring it in with the onions and garlic. Add the purees, stock, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and allow to cook down until the liquid have reduced and the mixture resembles, well, a Sloppy Joe. Serve piled on bulkie rolls. You may need a knife and fork, this is a deliciously messy meal.

How do you make kid-friendly meals healthier?

(c)istockphoto.com/DreamBigPhotos

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I ditch the empty calories like pasta, bread, etc and use veggies instead. "Mac" n cheese is made with cauliflower instead of macaroni, for example.

Maybe I'm lucky that my kids don't have problems with eating veggies, or maybe it's because that's what they were given to eat from the start.  Toddler/kid-friendly meals around here are things like cut up seasoned chicken, homemade meatballs from grass-fed beef, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, cheese. 

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Jul. 29, 2014 at 6:36 AM

the above recipe does sound tasty!

batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 29, 2014 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I think just making from scratch and eliminating processed foods makes a healthy dinner. The kids eating healthy has always been a priorty and we talk about healthy food.
batjmom
by Sarah on Jul. 29, 2014 at 7:03 AM
This recipe sounds Intersting... Not sure about the sweet potatoes but I would try it
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:55 PM

I serve lots of variety. Lots of different vegetables and fruits. Once you find something they really like, don't keep serving just that vegetable to them, or they will only want that. At least that's worked well for me. And let them help in the kitchen.

ladyvamp5489
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 9:59 PM

we use whole wheat pastas and homemade breads(whole wheat) and i make my own sauces, i add onions and peppers in most dishes, we always have a vegi of some sort, my kids will eat them tho. I dont add salt to anything except baking. We buy 1% milk only, use local lean meats....

evince01
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Wow..!! Yummy.... I love this Dishes..Thanks for sharing..

Web Development India

cjsjellybean
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:36 AM

At this point, my main focus is getting her to eat at all.  My son will eat just about anthing so I don't have to worr about him.  My 3 year old DD Is another story though and most days hardly touches anything.  Obviously I don't let her only eat junk but I'm more concerned with her getting anything in her than making sure it's all healthy.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:56 AM
1 mom liked this
We do the same. Tonight I am making mashed potatoes except with out the potatoes. I am using cauliflower . I use zucchini instead of the noodles in lasagna.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I ditch the empty calories like pasta, bread, etc and use veggies instead. "Mac" n cheese is made with cauliflower instead of macaroni, for example.

Maybe I'm lucky that my kids don't have problems with eating veggies, or maybe it's because that's what they were given to eat from the start.  Toddler/kid-friendly meals around here are things like cut up seasoned chicken, homemade meatballs from grass-fed beef, fresh fruit, fresh veggies, cheese. 

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:58 AM
I make my own with out the pumpkin and sweet potatoes. I also use green pepper, not the paste.

Quoting batjmom: This recipe sounds Intersting... Not sure about the sweet potatoes but I would try it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement