Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Homemade Healthy Sloppy Joes

Posted by   + Show Post

A while back some of you recommended I check out the book Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld. The book details how to sneak vegetables into your kids' diet via purees added to healthier versions of kid classics, like mac and cheese or hamburgers. I bought the book, and it is full of genius ideas. My new favorite quick meal is her Sloppy Joe recipe. In the book she uses pureed sweet potato, but if you are lazy and don't feel like dirtying the food processor just use some canned pumpkin puree. If you have picky eaters, I highly recommend you check this book out.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 onion, minced

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

1 lb ground turkey

1/2 cup red pepper puree, or really finely minced red pepper

1/2 cup pureed sweet potato or canned pumpkin puree (NOT pie filling)

1/2 cup veggie, beef or chicken stock

6 ounces tomato paste

1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

In a pan, heat the olive oil and cook the onion and garlic until tender. Add the ground turkey and cook through, stirring it in with the onions and garlic. Add the purees, stock, tomato paste and Worcestershire sauce and allow to cook down until the liquid have reduced and the mixture resembles, well, a Sloppy Joe. Serve piled on bulkie rolls. You may need a knife and fork, this is a deliciously messy meal.

How do you make kid-friendly meals healthier?

(c)istockphoto.com/DreamBigPhotos

by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Replies (21-29):
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:41 AM

This is interesting with the pumpkin!

mnmo3bb
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:46 PM

That sounds yummy. We get grass fed beef and add oatmeal, organic ketchup & BBQ sauce. Sometimes I'll add onion too. I just hide more veggies in there!! :)

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:48 PM

That's pretty clever! I don't have a problem with them eating most vegetables, but once they had canned spinach at their cousin's house, and decided they didn't like spinach. I put raw spinach (cut up so not recognizable) in salad when my boys were little. And in spaghetti sauce and soups. Now I put it in smoothies, and you can't taste it.

Quoting egyptian_mommy: That sounds good. I'm lucky that my kids aren't picky for the most part. My oldest is the pickiest but he isn't too bad. They will eat most veggies without any sneaking on my part. But I do add veggies to pasta sauces and soups and things just to get more in our diet. The only thing I have to really be sneaky about is spinach. My oldest says he hates it. I know he really doesn't because he used to like it and he eats it when I put it in things. I just tell him it's basil.

Wish2Be
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM

I usually get a canned version and add a bunch of onions and peppers and other seasonings to it to make it easy. This would be a great recipe for the weekend.

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:54 PM

I make my sloppy joes in crockpot!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Aug. 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM

we only eat our grass fed beef .... then I add rosted red peppers, onions,  green peppers garlic, salt, pepper whole tomatoes cut up cook until mashable then mash........ 

sanj1213
by Juanita on Aug. 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM

The sweet potato sounds good. 

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Since my son was born and we learned he had food allergies we ditched the processed stuff and I have been cooking from scratch since.  I believe my kids just got use to the veggies, ect and are use to it now.  Having him with his condition made us a much healthier family. 

Peachy34500
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I'm not a fan of sloppy Joes
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement