Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Dealing With Eating Restrictions

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 38 Replies

It seems like these days everyone is contending with some sort of restriction on what they eat, whether  self-imposed, doctor-recommended, or something else. It can be hard to know what each one actually means and what people can actually eat. Here's a quick rundown:

Vegetarian: No meat; some vegetarians describe it as "no food with a face." Most vegetarians will eat dairy and eggs; however, marshmallows, jellybeans, gummybears and gelatin are off the table (because gelatin is made from cow hooves -- who knew?).  So are many red-colored foods; natural red color is OK but many foods are colored with an additive called carmine, which is made from ground-up beetles.

Vegan: They avoid everything vegetarians do and stick pretty much to plant foods. If you're feeding a vegan, check labels on products that would seem OK: some brands of soy cheese include casein, a milk protein, for example. Super strict vegans also avoid things like sugar, (because of a manufacturing process used in some kinds of white sugar that uses bones), and beer and wine because they are sometimes filtered through, get this, fish bladders. Look for products labeled "vegan" to be sure they are OK.

Gluten-free: This is the latest trendy thing, but lots of people acually have to avoid gluten or they'll become very, very ill. As a general rule, avoid things made with wheat or barley (including anything breaded) -- not just baked goods but beer, malt vinegar, etc. There are more and more gluten-free options available now, but it's wise to ask first what is safe if you are cooking for a friend who follows a gluten-free diet.

Paleo: This is supposedly eating like cavemen ate, but given that Paleolithic people in my area ate mastodon brains, not so much. Not to say it isn't a very healthy way to eat; paleo focuses on unprocessed, whole foods, with no gluten, dairy, or legumes. Alcohol is usuallly forbidden. There are lots of paleo websites out there to give you ideas of what to cook, and there is a surprising amount of delicious food that paleo adherents can eat.

Do you follow a special diet? Which one, and why?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Just food allergies...
cjsjellybean
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:34 AM

I don't.  When my daughter was younger I had to avoid eggs because she was allergic and I was nursing.  Now though, I don't have an restrictions.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM
I eat low carb. It keeps my weight in check.
mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM
What allergies?

Quoting AlleyCat08: Just food allergies...
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM

We follow paleo/primal guidelines because it's a very healthy way to eat.  Nutrient dense, whole, uncontaminated foods....what's not healthy about it? Not to mention the meals are TASTY!

I started it in an attempt to gain control of my uncontrollable diabetes, but I soon realized the phenomenal other health benefits:  blood pressure returned to normal without meds, cholesterol dropped from over 300 to normal without meds, digestive issues disappeared, all PMS symptoms disappeared, no more mind fog, no more depression, no more arthritic aches & pains, no more muscle aches, my hair and nails are healthier, no more adult or teen acne, no more migraines, kidney disease that disappeared, perfect lab work results for thyroid and liver and other blood levels....and I was able to drastically lower and even drop diabetes meds.  I still have to take insulin, but it's a LOT less than before.

Alcohol is not forbidden.  You'll often see paleo "leaders" enjoy a glass of wine with a meal.  Even Robb Wolf enjoys drinks made with tequila.

Gabbysmom615
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I follow my own diet lol i should be on a diet to lose weight but ive never had to do it before bleh! I try to get my girls to eat as healthy as i can but no special diets

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM
My dh is allergic to most melons, avocado and banana. My sd is allergic to berries.

Quoting mrswillie: What allergies?

goddess99
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:48 AM

I don't eat most meats, eggs, I was vegan and hope to get back to it.

liveforever
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I dont at the moment. I have Crohns disease thats in remission. If it pops back up Ill have to go back to my very bland, very limited diet.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:54 AM
My friends Ds was allergic to wheat.

Quoting AlleyCat08: My dh is allergic to most melons, avocado and banana. My sd is allergic to berries.

Quoting mrswillie: What allergies?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN