Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever canned?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM
  • 64 Replies

http://www.cityfarmer.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/canning.jpg

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:09 AM
I haven't. My mom use to and I helped her.

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:10 AM
I can a good bit.
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM

What do you can?

Quoting bmw29: I can a good bit.

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Canning's been a part of life for as long as I can remember.  My mom canned, my grandmothers, and I've canned things by myself since I was 13.

I typically can green beans, applesauce, pie cherries, pie filling, peaches, pears, grape juice, tomatoes, tomato juice/vegetable juice, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, jams, apple butter, relishes, cucumber pickles, beet pickles, pickled peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, salsa, and zucchini pineapple.

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM

What do you remember her canning?

Quoting batjmom: I haven't. My mom use to and I helped her.

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Nice!  My garden is JUST starting to get serious about producing.  I picked the first few green beans last night (enough for a meal) and I noticed the apples are ready to pick...may start on those tonight.

Quoting bmw29: Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.
Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Cool, I've been overloaded since the middle of May. It's almost time for me to replant some of my crops.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Nice!  My garden is JUST starting to get serious about producing.  I picked the first few green beans last night (enough for a meal) and I noticed the apples are ready to pick...may start on those tonight.

Quoting bmw29: Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I canned with my grandmother, mother and aunt. And I canned on my own when I had a garden.

JIJsMom
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I have everything I need to do it..but I still haven't. Oops. :P
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)