Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Have you ever canned?

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM
  • 64 Replies

http://www.cityfarmer.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/canning.jpg

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:09 AM
I haven't. My mom use to and I helped her.

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:10 AM
I can a good bit.
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:12 AM

What do you can?

Quoting bmw29: I can a good bit.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Canning's been a part of life for as long as I can remember.  My mom canned, my grandmothers, and I've canned things by myself since I was 13.

I typically can green beans, applesauce, pie cherries, pie filling, peaches, pears, grape juice, tomatoes, tomato juice/vegetable juice, tomato sauce, spaghetti sauce, jams, apple butter, relishes, cucumber pickles, beet pickles, pickled peppers, sweet potatoes, carrots, salsa, and zucchini pineapple.

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:18 AM

What do you remember her canning?

Quoting batjmom: I haven't. My mom use to and I helped her.

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Nice!  My garden is JUST starting to get serious about producing.  I picked the first few green beans last night (enough for a meal) and I noticed the apples are ready to pick...may start on those tonight.

Quoting bmw29: Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.
Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

bmw29
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Cool, I've been overloaded since the middle of May. It's almost time for me to replant some of my crops.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Nice!  My garden is JUST starting to get serious about producing.  I picked the first few green beans last night (enough for a meal) and I noticed the apples are ready to pick...may start on those tonight.

Quoting bmw29: Everything. LOL Just this year I've made and canned soups, apple sauce, strawberry jam, blackberry jam, sales, pickles, pickled okra, pickled peppers.....Hopefully after I pick the garden today I'll have enough tomatoes to start on spaghetti sauce. After that will be different tomato sauces. I still have about a million pickles to make too.

Quoting michiganmom116:

What do you can?

SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:20 PM

I canned with my grandmother, mother and aunt. And I canned on my own when I had a garden.

JIJsMom
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 9:31 PM
I have everything I need to do it..but I still haven't. Oops. :P
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN