Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

http://www.cityfarmer.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/canning.jpg

by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 7:03 AM
Replies (61-64):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:55 AM

I agree that reading instructions is easy.  As time goes along you'll develop your own "style" and have your own favorites!

Quoting mikesmom65270:

Actually, it is easy to do just by reading instructions.  I watched my mother can but really didn't get involved at all.  Later, after I was married, I just got a canning book and learned as I did the steps.

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

Not anymore! When I asked her to teach me she laughed at me and said "if you can read you can make jam!" So unless we get a chance to go pick strawberries this week it won't be happening again this year. 

Quoting mikesmom65270:

It sounds like you have a good teacher available if you want.

Quoting PrincessAsmommy:

I haven't but my mom does a lot.  I really want to learn so I can have a stock of jams and favorite fruits and veggies for when produce gets expensive.

AlleyCat08
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM
My mom does. I do not.
wolfgirlbec
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope! But i'm hoping to learn from one of my 'besties',who's a canner,when he begins canning for the winter months,which will be pretty soon! fingers crossed

LaughsAlot
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:57 PM

Quoting Iluv2cook4him:

Quoting LaughsAlot:

My hubby & I have picked 8 gallons of huckleberries so far, time to start picking wild blackberries next!! Wild blueberries are ready also!!

Quoting sweetheart4171:

For sure....look at those berries!!!

Quoting LaughsAlot:

Mobile Photo

It definitely takes patience for sure! I'm a beader,and you definitely have to have patience for sure! lol hahaha
Quoting sweetheart4171: Exactly. ...you know where your food comes from!! Not sure if I have the patience lol
Quoting LaughsAlot:

Mobile Photo

It is a process, but like you said, gets easier if you can regularly! We save alot of money that's for sure! For $20 worth of gas, I can go out and pick wild berries (5 different kinds) , go to a u-pick for cherries, apples, peaches, apricot s and can jams, syrups, BBQ sauces, pie fillings, from the fruit, from my garden, I can tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa. I do things in stages, 1day is used for tomato stuff, another day for jams and pie fillings etc. If I were to go to the store and purchase everything, $125-$150, granted I have to buy sugar, lids for the canning jars (reuse my jars, ) etc but it's so worth it as I can with my daughter and we have a blast! Plus I know where most of our food comes from! And what's in it!
Quoting sweetheart4171: I never have....too me sounds like a process but I bet once you get the hang of it it gets easier

Where did you pick the Huckleberries? So many of them...Yummy! Where my friends live they have to drive up into the mountains to find them and then make pies and eat and make jam if any left..lol  They are pretty expensive per lb. We went Raspberry picking last week and made some jam..I'm kinda new at this recently but getting betta at it. I'm not new canning my Dill pickles. My mom taught me this many years ago.

I go up to the mountains near where I live also!! I live between two mountains, so I have lot's of "secret" places I go to pick!! Plus I'm the type of gal who likes to fill the tank, pack a cold lunch & go for a ride, exploring, looking for new picking spots!! I could spend aaallll day out in the woods if my family would let me!!laughing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN