Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

Welcome Teachers Back with Breakfast

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 27 Replies

If you think the first day of school is crazy for you and your kids, imagine what it must be like for their teachers. They've been back to work for a week or two already, getting prepared to welcome your children and maybe 30 of their classmates back for a great year of learning. The morning of the first day is just as hectic for them as it is for you, but they don't get to then head off to a nice quiet office or finally-empty house!

Start the year off right by gathering your fellow parents to pitch in and host a "Welcome Back" breakfast for your children's teachers and the school staff. It shouldn't be fancy, or time-consuming to eat; ideally, it could sit in the teacher's lounge for a bit wthout much tending.

Think muffins, bagels with an assortment of cream cheese, and a gluten-free treat. Make sure you have lots of coffee... that alarm came even earlier for them that first day. Offer pitchers of orange juice and water as well. Add a nice fruit salad, and you have a lovely basic breakfast.

If you have the capacity to set up some heated dishes, an egg casserole in a chafing dish would be nice, as would some sausage and bacon. You can use foil baking pans to make the food easier to transport. Just make sure everything you offer is fresh and good-quality; school staff have to eat enough cafeteria food during the year!

If you have time and budget to do a small gift, a travel mug or water bottle they could fill at the breakfast and use during the day would be ideal. And no matter what, make sure they know you appreciate all their hard work.

How do you show appreciation to your children's teachers?

Image ŠIStockPhoto/Christopher Futcher

by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't.

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Hmmmm
My kids are in middle school and I think this is more questioned to elementary age children.

My kids attend a vary large school and I think that their teacher appreciate seeing a parent involved with kids schooling... Knowing what's going on, grades, ect
scapermom
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 9:16 AM

The PTA does a welcome back breakfast for teachers each year. They use funds collected from fundraisers to cater a nice breakfast and also get volunteer moms to help set up  the food, put table cloths & flowers in the teachers lounge & clean up.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:04 PM
I don't anymore....I use to in the elementary setting, now that my children are in high school and middle school just being involved and in tune with what's going on in the classroom helping my child in turn makes it less stressful for the teacher
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The PTA did this when the kids were in elementary school. I always helped with that, usually making breakfast casseroles or muffins.

TheBabyFactory4
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:36 AM
By being involved in my kids education and being a partner to them.
Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM
That's a cute idea!
Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM

This is what our school does too.

Quoting scapermom:

The PTA does a welcome back breakfast for teachers each year. They use funds collected from fundraisers to cater a nice breakfast and also get volunteer moms to help set up  the food, put table cloths & flowers in the teachers lounge & clean up.

MistressMinerva
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:26 PM

If my daughter liked her teacher then at Christmas time we would get a gift.

delanna6two
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:01 PM

I try to cooperate with lesson plans and other projects.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement