Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cooking for 10

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM
  • 20 Replies

Yes, that's me now, with ten people in the household.

What are some of your favorite ways to make food stretch to feel a lot of people?  Do you have some favorite things to cook for large groups?

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SweetLuci
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:25 AM

That's a lot. Did family move in with you? I would suggest pasta and beans, but I know you don't eat those. What about soups & stews? Anything with lots of veggies, like stirfries. Tacos or taco salad, chef salad, pizza, tatertot casserole, chicken in Alfredo sauce. Will you get some help with the cooking?

SlightlyPerfect
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:27 AM
OMG 10??!! When our friends get together, there are about 10 of us (who get together regularly). I cook for them--like big Italian dishes or an array of dips--but I could not do that every day! Good luck!
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:34 AM
A big spicnach strawberry salad with walnuts
Pulled chicken or pork sandwiches ( or lettuce wraps ).
batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:35 AM
Taco salad bar always goes over good here too
michiganmom116
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM

Quoting SweetLuci:

That's a lot. Did family move in with you? I would suggest pasta and beans, but I know you don't eat those. What about soups & stews? Anything with lots of veggies, like stirfries. Tacos or taco salad, chef salad, pizza, tatertot casserole, chicken in Alfredo sauce. Will you get some help with the cooking?

Yes, we had some family move in with us.  They'll stay (hopefully) no more than a couple of months, but they can stay longer if needed.

Taco salad is a good idea...my recipe usually has a good 10 servings.  Yep, have pizza on he list.  We had artichoke chicken last night...I doubled the amount of chicken but that's it.  Tater tot casserole....that would go over well!

Help with cooking?  No, that hasn't changed.  I worked until after 6 pm last night, even texted my DD to start dinner and serve XXX and XXX with it, and when I got home only the chicken was baking.  Nothing else.  Thankfully I'm pretty good at cooking in a flash and dinner was ready by 6:30.  I was seriously considering moving out, though.

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM

Well, I had 5 kids so cooking for 10 is only a step up from cooking for 7.

Thanks!

Quoting SlightlyPerfect: OMG 10??!! When our friends get together, there are about 10 of us (who get together regularly). I cook for them--like big Italian dishes or an array of dips--but I could not do that every day! Good luck!

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My spinach and strawberries are done for the year  : (

Love the pulled pork/chicken idea!

Quoting batjmom: A big spicnach strawberry salad with walnuts Pulled chicken or pork sandwiches ( or lettuce wraps ).

michiganmom116
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like a good idea!  Thanks!

Quoting batjmom: Taco salad bar always goes over good here too

batjmom
by Sarah on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:53 AM
I admit it's one of my favorite salads so I get spicnach from Costco for it ...

Arugula on griled chicken is always a hit here too

Quoting michiganmom116:

My spinach and strawberries are done for the year  : (

Love the pulled pork/chicken idea!

Quoting batjmom: A big spicnach strawberry salad with walnuts
Pulled chicken or pork sandwiches ( or lettuce wraps ).

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Spaghetti

Tuna casserole

Chef salads

Tacos
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)