Inside the Kitchen

Your guide to creating meal magic every day - from cooking to baking to entertaining for any occasion.

Group Home

HELP!! I'm in desperate need of a kid friendly supper tonight...

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM
  • 13 Replies
I think I'm going to literally give myself a headache. I've got my 3 nephews 13, 11,6 and niece, 9 coming for the weekend and then I'll have my 3 dd's 14,12,10 and my gd, 4. Before you offer suggestions let me say this; I've cooked EVERYTHING! I mean, literally! I made 2 diff kinds of chicken dishes, spaghetti, chili, tacos, hamburgers and hotdogs, pizza, pork chops, breakfast for supper, ham with scallop pot, corn, gr beans. Meatloaf comes to mind and also sloppy joes. Anyone have other suggestions?
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Rhonda on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:25 PM

tator tot casserole

billysangel
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:37 PM
I saw something similar on Pinterest. It's loaded potato casserole with chicken.

http://www.singingthroughtherain.net/2013/06/loaded-chicken-and-potatoes.html

Quoting michiganmom116:

tator tot casserole

CodJesKai
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:57 PM
May I suggest chicken and dumplings. It's very easy and feeds a lot.
billysangel
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Thanks! I'll ask the kids.

Quoting CodJesKai: May I suggest chicken and dumplings. It's very easy and feeds a lot.
CodJesKai
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:23 PM
You're welcome! Would you like to know how I make it?

Quoting billysangel: Thanks! I'll ask the kids.

Quoting CodJesKai: May I suggest chicken and dumplings. It's very easy and feeds a lot.
billysangel
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:28 PM
Sure, please!

Quoting CodJesKai: You're welcome! Would you like to know how I make it?

Quoting billysangel: Thanks! I'll ask the kids.

CodJesKai
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM
Boil 4-6 pieces of chicken in a big pot until cooked through (boneless or not; children usually perfer the dumplngs, so I use the lesser)

Take them out and let them cool to a temperature your hands can handle, then tear them apart and put them back in the pot. (Do not pour the water out, that will be your chicken broth)

Drop in 1 chicken bouloun cube for flavor and turn it on to boil again.

While it's getting up to boiling, take 2-3 cans of biscuits (I use the larger) and tear into thumb size pieces and throw them in stirring occasionally. This part can be time consuming, so if you feel comfortable with it, some of the kids can help and have fun.

When you're done let the biscuits boil for about 5 minutes. Lastly, add salt and pepper. Done!
mikesmom65270
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM

How about meatloaf muffins?  You could use your own recipe and bake in muffin cups, add a vegetable and some form of potato.  These bake about 35 minutes at 375.

Meatloaf Muffins! A great kid-friendly meal!

billysangel
by New Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:21 PM
I settled on sloppy joes and sloppy jose (left over taco meat) I'm too tired for making a big supper. Thank you for everyone's suggestions.
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM

sloppy jose...lol! 

sloppy joes always go over well with the kiddos!!

Quoting billysangel: I settled on sloppy joes and sloppy jose (left over taco meat) I'm too tired for making a big supper. Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advertisement Advertisement