Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pies and vegetable casserole....

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hello ladies! My MIL asked me to bring something to a birthday potluck. I offered to bring a vegetable casserole and a pie. Now, for some background, my in-laws are very good at baking, cooking, crafting etc. They are very supportive of the fact that I am still learning what they grew up with their whole lives. But I really really want to impress them. Its a birthday for her mother and son-in-law. Does anyone know any easy wow me recipe for pies, cobblers, or vegetable casseroles? I have some in mind...but would like something "fresh".
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't have anything off hand that I've done but looked some up for you

Winter Vegetable Casserole

• 1/3  large head cauliflower, cut into flowerets
  • 1/2  small bunch broccoli, cut into flowerets
  • 2   carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds
  • 4   tablespoons butter
  • 1/4  cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 1/8  teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2   cups milk
  • 1   tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2  cups (6 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
  • 1   cup soft fresh bread crumbs
  • 1   tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1/2  teaspoon ground paprika
  •  
    Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • 2   tablespoons butter, melted
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Steam cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots in water just until tender, about 6 minutes. Set aside.

Prepare a two-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth and just bubbly. Add salt, pepper, and milk. Cook the sauce, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Add the mustard and cheese and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted. Add cauliflower, broccoli and carrots to cheese mixture and toss to coat.

Spoon into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs parsley, paprika, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over casserole and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and browned.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Baked Italian-Style Cauliflower

• 1 tablespoon olive oil 
  • 1 cup chopped onion 
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 6 ounces lean ground sirloin 
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as McCutcheon's) 
  • 2 ounces pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped $
  • 1 1/2 pounds cauliflower, cut into florets 
  • Cooking spray 
  • 1 ounce French bread baguette, torn into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese 

Preparation

1. 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic; sauté for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Stir in beef. Sprinkle with salt and peppers, and sauté 3 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Stir in sauce and olives.
  2. 2. Preheat broiler.
  3. 3. Steam cauliflower 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place cauliflower in an 11 x 7-inch broiler-safe baking dish coated with cooking spray; top with sauce mixture.
  4. 4. Place bread in a mini chopper; pulse until coarse crumbs form. Combine crumbs and cheese; sprinkle over cauliflower mixture. Broil 4 minutes or until browned.
  5. Wine Match: When in Rome, drink like the Romans: A light, easy-drinking Italian red with good acidity pairs well with the tomato-based sauce and beef in this Italian-style recipe. Try Castello Banfi's Col di Sasso 2008 ($8), a soft and fruity blend of cabernet sauvignon and sangiovese, which has a hint of earthiness that enhances the olives and cauliflower. --Gretchen Roberts
HappyMommyToo
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Thank you so much!

Quoting sweetheart4171:

• 4   tablespoons butter
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 2   cups milk
  •  
    Pinch of ground nutmeg
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Steam cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots in water just until tender, about 6 minutes. Set aside.
Prepare a two-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir until smooth and just bubbly. Add salt, pepper, and milk. Cook the sauce, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Add the mustard and cheese and continue cooking and stirring until cheese is melted. Add cauliflower, broccoli and carrots to cheese mixture and toss to coat.
Spoon into prepared baking dish. In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs parsley, paprika, nutmeg, and 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle over casserole and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and browned.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM

so very welcome!!

Quoting HappyMommyToo:

Thank you so much!

Quoting sweetheart4171:

• 4   tablespoons butter
  • 1/2  teaspoon salt
  • 2   cups milk
  •  
    Pinch of ground nutmeg
Directions

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I made this without the noodles and it was a HUGE hit with my kids.  SOOOO Good!

Olive Garden Style Vegetarian Lasagna
A bountiful vegetable mixture, a rich ricotta cheese mixture, and a homemade, cream sauce make this vegetarian lasagna well worth the extra effort.

Ingredients
Alfredo Sauce:

• 1/2 lb. Sweet or salted butter
  • 12 oz. Heavy cream
  • Fresh ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Parmesan -- grate
  • 18 slices Mozzarella cheese -- 1/2 oz. ea

Ricotta Mixture:

• 1 pint Ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. Romano -- grate
  • 3 oz. Mozzarella -- shred
  • 2 Tbs. Green onions -- slice
  • 2 tsp. Fresh parsley -- chop
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 C. Alfredo sauce – cooled

Vegetable Mixture:

• 4 C. Broccoli florets
  • 2 C. Carrots; sliced 1/4" -- then chopped
  • 4 C. Mushrooms -- slice 1/4"
  • 2 C. Red bell peppers -- dice
  • 1 C. Green bell pepper -- dice
  • 1 C. Yellow onion -- dice
  • 2 C. Zucchini -- slice

Lasagna noodles

Directions
Lay out enough dry lasagna noodles in a 9x13 pan to ensure you have enough to make 3 full layers, with very little overlap on each layer. Remove the dry strips and cook according to package instructions until barely "al dente" and drain.

Alfredo Sauce: Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler. Add butter, cream and pepper to the top pot and heat until butter is completely melted, then stir in Parmesan until melted and blended. Remove top pot and set aside to cool. Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Refrigerate 1 portion for use later.

Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Set aside at room temp.

Vegetables: Combine all veggies and mix well.

Assembly: Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable spray. Lay out cooked lasagna strips (about 4) to cover entire bottom. Spread 1-1/4 c of the Ricotta mix evenly over the strips. Top with 8 c of veggie mix and spread out evenly. Lay out 9 of the mozzarella slices to cover the veggie layer. Repeat this layering. Top the second layer of mozzarella slices with lasagna strips and spread them evenly with 1-1/4 c ricotta cheese mix to finish. Cooking: Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake in a preheated 375~ oven for about an hour or until the internal temp is 165~. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes, covered, before cutting and serving. Immediately prior to serving, heat the reserved portion of Alfredo Sauce and ladle the hot sauce over each slice of lasagna as it is served. Serves 8.

sweetheart4171
by Peggy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM
2 moms liked this

also for a pie....michiganmom has a apple pie that she swears by (her mom's), and another member of the group has made

http://www.cafemom.com/group/116830/forums/read/19005464/Apple_recipes

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I made this for DH's birthday dessert, and it's GREAT!  I had to bake it about 15 minutes longer than the recipe recommended, but I'm not sure that the problem might not be my oven...

Taste of Home Logo

German Chocolate Cream Pie

German Chocolate Cream Pie
I've won quite a few awards in recipe contests over the past 10 years and am delighted that this luscious pie sent me to the Great American Pie Show finals. —Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling

Ingredients

• Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
  • 4 ounces German sweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cornstarch
  • Dash salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1-1/3 cups flaked coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • TOPPING:
  • 2 cups heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Additional flaked coconut and chopped pecans

Directions

• Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry; trim and flute edges.

• Place the chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Cook and stir
  • over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. In a
  • large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add the eggs,
  • vanilla and chocolate mixture; mix well. Pour into crust. Sprinkle
  • with coconut and pecans.
  • Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  • For topping, in a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until stiff peaks form. Spread over pie; sprinkle with additional coconut and pecans. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Click here to find out more!
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I refuse to take blame for any weight gain as a result of this recipe.  You are on your own!

Peanut Butter Pie

• 1 chocolate crumb pie crust
  • 8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
  • 1/2 c. peanut butter
  • 1 c. powdered sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 4 oz. Cool Whip

Beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth.  Add powdered sugar and milk.  Beat until combined. Fold in Cool Whip.  Spread in pie crust. Chill.

michiganmom116
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Blueberry Crumb Pie

• 9 inch unbaked pie crust
  • 3/4 c. white sugar
  • 1/3 c. flour
  • 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 5 c. fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
  • 2/3 c. packed brown sugar
  • 3/4 c. rolled oats
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 6 Tbsp. butter

Preheat oven to 375°

In a large bowl stir together the sugar and flour.  Mix in lemon zest and lemon juice.  Gently stir in the blueberries and pour into pie crust.

In a medium bowl stir together the brown sugar, oats, flour, and cinnamon.  Mix in butter using a fork until crumbly.  Spread the crumb topping evenly over the pie filling

Bake for 40 minutes until browned on top.  Cool on wire rack

HappyMommyToo
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Sounds yummy!

Quoting michiganmom116:

I made this without the noodles and it was a HUGE hit with my kids.  SOOOO Good!

Olive Garden Style Vegetarian LasagnaA bountiful vegetable mixture, a rich ricotta cheese mixture, and a homemade, cream sauce make this vegetarian lasagna well worth the extra effort.

IngredientsAlfredo Sauce:

• 1/2 lb. Sweet or salted butter
  • 12 oz. Heavy cream
  • Fresh ground white pepper
  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Parmesan -- grate
  • 18 slices Mozzarella cheese -- 1/2 oz. ea

Ricotta Mixture:

• 1 pint Ricotta cheese
  • 2 oz. Romano -- grate
  • 3 oz. Mozzarella -- shred
  • 2 Tbs. Green onions -- slice
  • 2 tsp. Fresh parsley -- chop
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/8 tsp. Black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp. Dried oregano
  • 1 1/4 C. Alfredo sauce – cooled

Vegetable Mixture:

• 4 C. Broccoli florets
  • 2 C. Carrots; sliced 1/4" -- then chopped
  • 4 C. Mushrooms -- slice 1/4"
  • 2 C. Red bell peppers -- dice
  • 1 C. Green bell pepper -- dice
  • 1 C. Yellow onion -- dice
  • 2 C. Zucchini -- slice

Lasagna noodles

DirectionsLay out enough dry lasagna noodles in a 9x13 pan to ensure you have enough to make 3 full layers, with very little overlap on each layer. Remove the dry strips and cook according to package instructions until barely "al dente" and drain.

Alfredo Sauce: Heat water to a boil in the bottom of a double boiler. Add butter, cream and pepper to the top pot and heat until butter is completely melted, then stir in Parmesan until melted and blended. Remove top pot and set aside to cool. Divide the sauce into 2 equal portions. Refrigerate 1 portion for use later.

Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly with a rubber spatula. Set aside at room temp.

Vegetables: Combine all veggies and mix well.

Assembly: Coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13 baking dish with vegetable spray. Lay out cooked lasagna strips (about 4) to cover entire bottom. Spread 1-1/4 c of the Ricotta mix evenly over the strips. Top with 8 c of veggie mix and spread out evenly. Lay out 9 of the mozzarella slices to cover the veggie layer. Repeat this layering. Top the second layer of mozzarella slices with lasagna strips and spread them evenly with 1-1/4 c ricotta cheese mix to finish. Cooking: Spray a sheet of foil with vegetable spray and cover the baking dish tightly with the foil, sprayed side down. Bake in a preheated 375~ oven for about an hour or until the internal temp is 165~. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for a few minutes, covered, before cutting and serving. Immediately prior to serving, heat the reserved portion of Alfredo Sauce and ladle the hot sauce over each slice of lasagna as it is served. Serves 8.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)