Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Think You Can't Bake Amazing Bread? Think Again

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies

Honestly, I'm not sure why I've always been so afraid of baking bread. What could be more simple  than a recipe with 3 ingredients? The key to baking chewy bread (rather than a cake-like bread) is using bread flour, which has a higher protein content and thus more delicious gluten, which is what binds the bread together and makes it chewy. This recipe requires absolutely no kneading.

If you want fresh baked bread every day of the week, quadruple this recipe and leave the extra dough in the fridge. Sitting in the fridge a few days will only deepen the flavor of the dough.

Ingredients:

1/2 tablespoon yeast

1/2 tablespoon salt

2 cups bread flour

1 1/3 cup of warm water

In a bowl, mix the yeast, salt and flour together with a wooden spoon. Add the warm water until incorporated. The dough should be wet and shaggy so add a little extra water if needed. Cover loosely with a lid and allow to rise for 2 hours. After 2 hours, either refrigerate your dough to bake on another day that week, or dust a baking sheet with corn meal (or more flour) and dump the dough onto the dusted baking sheet. Dust the top of the dough blob with flour and, using your floured fingertips, tuck the sides of the dough under the blob, until the top of the loaf is smooth and round. Allow to rest, uncovered, for about 90 minutes.

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees, and after the 90 minute rest period is up, slash the top of the bread in a # shape. Pop the loaf into the oven with small pan of water on the second shelf. This pan of water will create steam, which is how the bread will form a crust. After 30-35 minutes the bread should be a deep brown and ready to pull out of the oven.

This bread would make a great housewarming gift or side dish for Thanksgiving.

Do you ever bake bread?

(c)istockphoto.com/Skystorm

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:31 AM

I used to bake ALL of our bread needs...it's really not hard.  My DD and DS even know how to make bread.

We just don't eat bread anymore.

batjmom
by Sarah on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM
I haven't but this sounds easy enough
I would add some fresh herbs too
johnny4ever
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I bake Banana & Pumpkin Bread!

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never baked bread but I would like to

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:21 AM

It sounds easy enough to do though..

Bob192
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I've been intimidated by it too. This sounds like a great one to try! Thanks!

jessicasmom1
by Laina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

thank you! sounds good

arthistmom
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM

No kneading, you say? May have to try this even though we're not big bread eaters. Thanks for sharing.

sanj1213
by Juanita on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I've made banana bread.
RobynS
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a bread maker and used to bake bread a lot. Then I found out I was allergic to gluten, yeast, and eggs and I stopped. I will get back to it, though--I'd still like to bake for my kiddos. I was just overwhelmed at the time and something had to give.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)