Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: My 7yr won't try new food!

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

My almost 7yr old flips out when he tries a new food. First he cries & cries about trying it then because he is so worked up after trying a bite he says hes gonna b sick then goes & sits in the bathroom. Idk what to do anymore for him. Can anyone help please?

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MixedCooke
by on Apr. 6, 2015 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

have you simply asked whyhe doesnt want to? It could be more of a textural issue.

coco5
by on Apr. 6, 2015 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Kyle son used to be like that. He grew out of it but it was by age 10. I feel for you. Don't worry it should pass.
PrincessAsmommy
by on Apr. 6, 2015 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel you on that one!  Dd has been like this since she was about 4 (she's 8 now). She used to get really worked up like that and could get herself to the point of throwing up if we allowed it to go that far. Basically we chose to wait her out and go gently when introducing new foods. Gradually introducing new flavours and textures one at a time so that we could see which were more her style and which didn't make her happy. As she was able to tell us we'd ask why she didn't like something and if we could accept the excuse we'd leave it at that. So basically what we do now is make what we want making sure that there's something that she will eat and then we ask/expect her to have one good taste of one of the other items. If she likes it she can have more otherwise a taste is all we require. This low pressure tactic has worked well for us and she's added several things to her repitoire of foods she'll eat without complaint.

boardwino
by Member on Apr. 23, 2015 at 1:00 PM
My dd was like that! She just turned 8 and it's gotten much better. I kept giving her the same meals and asking to at least try a bite and then she was allowed to be excused.

Being consistent helped but so did the following:
Getting her involved by having her help prepare food. She likes to try what she makes.
Getting her involved by asking what healthy options she thinks sound good when I'm deciding what to make. I try to come up with easy stuff.
And last but probably the best advice...I let her season the food with whatever she like. Over time she was allowed less sauces. For example we no longer eat rice with soy sauce.

Oh and make food fun!!! Get creative and make plates look neat. use cookie cutters.

Good luck!
karla41164
by Member on Apr. 24, 2015 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

We went thru this years ago!

I stooped making the meals she would only eat.No snacks just good fruits and vegetable's,And when it came time to eat I put small amounts of food on her plate,After 3-4 days she was hungry enough to eat what was on her plate,If you keep giving in then it is you that is allowing for this to continue

Alieda
by on Apr. 25, 2015 at 11:16 AM
I have hear if you give a kid ownership in his food by having him help you plant it ,harvest it or shop for it and fix it they will eat more types of food you might try that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)