Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

being held back

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 26 Replies
  • 563 Total Views

Has anyone else heard about their child's progress? I got a note today that said that Blake is not at the level he needs to be. His score on a certain testing needs to be a 20 now and it is a 19. at the end of the year he needs to be a 26. If he can't bring his level up he will have to stay in kindergarten another year.

Is anyone else's child having problems? And if so, how do you help them thru that?

There is no greater love than the love a mommy has for her boys! 

Trace                                           Blake

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Mine is not.  I think I would ask the teacher specifics of what he needs to learn and work on it at home with him to see if you can help him improve.  But maybe another year of kindergarten would be good for him?  I don't know him so I can't judge.  Do you think he would benefit from it?

TBKSuperMama
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:53 PM
I'm not sure right now. I plan to meet with her this coming week and see what we can do. He is learning but just not fast enough for their tests. I will update after our meeting
ddhb2007
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Wow.  It sounds like he's borderline on passing / not passing.  I would set up a meeting with his teacher to see what he's not understanding / passing on the assessment.  It could be something as simple as a fine motor skill holding him back - cutting, coloring, or writing clearly.

JasonsMom2007
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think I would make any decisions until you talk to the teacher.  Personally I would rather have my kid held back in kindergarten than any other grade if he truly needs the extra year and is struggling across the board.  But if he's just behind in one area I would try to work with him and catch him up.

TBKSuperMama
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I have set up a meeting so just waiting for it to happen. I don't want him to be held back but if it is necessary I would rather do it now than later. We have been working really hard with him so hoping it will all pay off for him

Jemia
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 6:46 PM
My son was tested in the beginning of the year and he did very well. He will be tested again in the next couple weeks so i will know where he is after that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jen7232
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:03 PM

What's he getting scored on? We don't have a numbering system. Our system is "graded" with three possible outcomes in each assessed area:  Proficient/Partially Proficient/Area of Concern.

Luvmy2babies22
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:34 AM
I would definitely just wait and see what the teacher has to say. How old is your son?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TBKSuperMama
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:37 AM

He is 6. I have a meeting set up with his teachers on Tuesday. Hoping for some tips on how to improve his scores between now and April. They are tested on kindergarten readiness, sight words, reading informal and phonics. The only one he is having issues with is the sight words but at home he whizzes thru them and gets 95% of them correct. I think he gets anxious when its time for the actual test

STVUstudent
by Frequent Poster on Jan. 11, 2013 at 3:07 PM

One of my two kindergarteners is having trouble- she may be held back.  Boy twin is doing awesome- well above average.  Girl twin?  Can't seem to get it together.  He will get 100% on a test, she will get 42%... We picked up all kinds of kindergarten workbooks that deal with letters and numbers and other kindergarten skills, and try to work with her a little bit extra every day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN