Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Possibly switching teachers

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 173 Total Views

We homeschool through a charter homeschool program and I love everything about it except our mentor teacher.  I spend an hour twice a month (down from weekly) being lectured by her.  Nothing my son does is good enough for her.  She told me the other day he has zero reading comprehension and I need to stop him everytime he comes to a word he doesn't understand and look it up online to make sure he truly understands it.  Yeah that's very impractical!  I mean, when he comes to a word he doesn't understand I tell him what it means and we move on.  It would take forever to look it up and then of course he will get distracted and have no clue where he is in the book.  That's only one example.  She told me the other day he would be moving to math u see alpha soon.  Yeah, he's almost done with alpha and she had the book right in front of her he had almost completed!  She says he's working at 1st grade level everybody else says 3rd.  Not a big deal except she keeps trying to push him down below what he is capable of.  I just want to follow his lead and let him learn at his own pace.  That's part of the huge benefit of homeschooling!

So I e-mailed the academic case manager who is always asking me if I'm keeping him challenged.  I told her how frustrated I am and how I don't really care what level he is at, I just want to follow his lead wherever he is.  I don't think he should have to do more math pages of a topic he has alreay mastered just because they are in the book.  I want more in depth science for him because well, he wants it but she insists he just wants the "wow" factor and not to know how things work.  He wants to know!  I've been asking him a million questions to go over reading comprehension with him and he answers them all without an issue.  I'm starting a vocabulary program with him because well, who can't benefit from that?  I've had to switch almost all of the curriculums from what she gave me to another curriculum (at the same level) because she keeps shoving workbooks at me and my son learns best through conversations.  She gives us a spelling book that involves writing words over and over again and I had to go track down a more hands on curriculum that teaches the rules behind spelling.  He loves rules.  I mean, I could go on and on!  

And she's given us things to do that are just not age appropriate.  He's 5 he's not going to use a compass and a map to find something I have buried.  There are a lot of steps that lead up to that and he's not ready for that yet.  Heck we still have to practice left from right!  And she wants him dictating a story to me daily for me to type.  Yeah that's fine except it doesn't work for him.  For some reason it sets him off and he is an absolute terror the rest of the day (he has some special needs we are working on getting help for).  The whole year I've been having to look at what she gives us to do and make choices because it's way too much for a kindergartener.  I have returned so many things and just flat out refused to do others.  He would be doing 12+ hours/day of school work if I did everything she wants from him.  Thankfully she never even remembers she gave it to me anyways lol.

What do I want?  I want a science curriculum to follow.  Something where he is learning vocabulary and about the science behind simple things like plants, dinosaurs, etc instead of just learning to write a hypothesis and test it like she wants him doing.  Experiments are great but he needs more.  And interactive please!  I try but it's hard coming up with ideas on my own.  I have so much going on already!  I want someone who will recognize where he is and point out what we need to work on but give logical suggestions that won't take our whole day.  I want someone who will show us the next step. And I want someone who has some consistancy and doesn't lecture me about the same thing weekly for months on end!

So anyways, I meet with the academic case manager tomorrow to discuss my concerns.  She has worked with my son doing testing and knows where he is academically.  I want to ask her about the reading comprehension and other ways to improve it as well as if she feels it needs improved.  We will work on it anyways because once again it can't hurt but I need logical suggestions for it!   She is suggesting that a change in mentor teachers may be the best solution if she isn't letting me follow my son's lead and frustrating me everytime we meet.  Talking to other parents on that campus I have the most controlling of the mentor teachers and I don't need controlling I need supportive!

So yeah, wish me luck.  I've been on the verge of saying I need a new mentor for quite some time.  Because of my son's special needs she acts like everything should be just the same as with her special needs daughter but they are two different people with different special needs!  I hate being talked down to.  I know my son better than her and she acts like she knows it all.  I'm just done!

Being a full-time mother is one of the highest salaried jobs in my field, since the payment is pure love.  ~Mildred B. Vermont
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
JasonsMom2007
by Frequent Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Well apparently I'm not the only one with this complaint.  This particular mentor has been losing kids like crazy because she wants to control everything and that's not what the school is all about.  I was advised to go to the administration next week (after things from the death settle a bit more) and talk about a change in mentors.  She is going to talk to one of the mentors she thinks would be perfect for my son and see if we can get in with her.  This other mentor is fighting breast cancer so she might not be there constantly but we don't need constant direction anyways so it should be a good fit.  Wish me luck!

Jemia
by Frequent Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Good luck!

JasonsMom2007
by Frequent Poster on Feb. 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Thanks
I got a call this afternoon. Since they were shifting families around left teacher-less by the death the academic case manager went in and told them everything I told her. She is a push over with kids but she gets her way with adults. Well, she got us in with one of the best mentors on campus! There are two who people fight over and have lines of people waiting for them and we are with one of them!
I can't thank her enough. This mentor plans tons of field trips and has a special class just for her kids. Right now they learning about salmon. They went to the fish hatchery to see them harvest the eggs (we tagged along) and now they have salmon eggs at school they are hatching. We will later release the salmon back into the river. She does stuff like this constantly!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jemia
by Frequent Poster on Feb. 3, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Good for you guys!

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Thanks

I got a call this afternoon. Since they were shifting families around left teacher-less by the death the academic case manager went in and told them everything I told her. She is a push over with kids but she gets her way with adults. Well, she got us in with one of the best mentors on campus! There are two who people fight over and have lines of people waiting for them and we are with one of them!

I can't thank her enough. This mentor plans tons of field trips and has a special class just for her kids. Right now they learning about salmon. They went to the fish hatchery to see them harvest the eggs (we tagged along) and now they have salmon eggs at school they are hatching. We will later release the salmon back into the river. She does stuff like this constantly!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)