Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Chores" piog

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 195 Total Views

What age is common to start giving little ones chores? I was reading a post about it and saw that many moms have 4 and 5 yr olds cleaning bathrooms, and vaccuuming, and helping clean kitchens, take out trash...etc... 

My DD is 5 and her only job is to pick up her toys. Am I too lenient? Is it more common to have young ones helping out around the house more? What are some chores your little ones do? How do you get them to do it, and whats appropriate for Kindergartners to do around the house?

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
2-point-doe
by Frequent Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM

We don't have set chores. She helps cook, load the dishwasher and stuff and is to pick up her own stuff but mostly her job is too be a kid and do her homework. i don't think she need to be running a vacuum. She does do some dusting. She just really likes to help with whatever I am doing.

JasonsMom2007
by Frequent Poster on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:29 PM
My kids are almost 3 and 5. They help out doing whatever I ask. They also pick up their toys, clean up after themselves, help feed the animals, and take out the compost.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jameyluv
by New Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:57 PM

My kids are  6 and 4 ...their only job is to pick up their toys

Luvmy2babies22
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't have set chores and never will. They are expected to take care of their own stuff/rooms and then help when asked. My son helps out very voluntarily.  He loves to do the garbages, vacuum and yard work.  We take his garbage privileges away as punishment!

jen7232
by Frequent Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:37 AM

My son helps set the table when asked. His weekly chore is take out the bathroom trash cans once a week. I don't make a big deal of it right now if we forget, that's fine. I think it's important to show kids how to clean a house and teach them how to cook, but not go overboard.

Mine will have some chores added, but I won't be too crazy about it as mine were as a kid. My parents were overboard I thought. I had to clean the entire house once a week on Saturday. Weekly chores were dust whole house, clean bathrooms, clean kitchen, vacuum, take out trash, clean the yard up since we had a dog, windex all glass things and appliances, help put groceries away, plus clean my room. Only chores I didn't do were mow the lawn and do the laundry washing, but had to help put it away. Plus daily had to clean the dishes and put them away, take out trash.

jen7232
by Frequent Poster on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:40 AM

mine loves helping us with taking out the trash, too. He feels tall I guess trying to lift the lid of the big outside trash can to put things in. He likes doing that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)