Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5th Grade Class Trip

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 11 Replies
  • 458 Total Views

My daughter's school always did a 5th grade trip, usually to the beach.  It was something special for the 5th graders since they would be graduating and heading over to the Middle school.  That is until last year.  Last year my daughter's school had a different principal, it was her first and only year at the school and she stopped the 5th grade class trip.  She didn't think they were necessary!  It was sad.

This year we got a new principal, one which I love.  She's my daughter's old vice principal, she had been in the school for the first 3 years my daughter attended, and all of the kids and parents loved her.  So now she's back as principal and she has reinstated the 5th grade class trip :)  Although it's not the beach, the kids will be heading to the movies tomorrow to see the Chimpanzee movie, my daughter is so excited!

Have I mentioned I am really glad the old principal is gone!!! lol

So does your school do 5th grade class trips?  or class trips in general?

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I am all for class trip for all grades but especially for 5th (I have such fond memories of mine growing up).  Its their last year and since the district will not let them have any sort of graduation (except from HS) they should do something special.  Not crazy about a beach trip though so I am glad the school stopped those.  Kids showing off in front of friends, kids that may not be strong swimmers, kids who may not want to put on a suit in front of their friends kind of thing and especially in a school like Emma where there are just so many kids.   My sisters district used to do a swim trip to the local YMCA but stopped that because it wasn't fair to the girls that may have their periods that day (i kid you not).  

Briesmom38
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I am not sure but I don't think there was any swimming involved on the beach trips.  I think it was more a picnic on the beach and some games.  I like the movie idea too!

Emma does a few things for the 5th graders, besides the class trip, they do the 5th Grade Tribute and they are also giving all of the 5th graders free yearbooks.

Jaxmomof2600
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Many years ago 5th grade went to Sandy Hook.  No swimming, no bathing suits.  It was a picnic/learning day.  They cleaned up a bit and caught little things in the bay.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM

When I was a kid our grade schools went to 6th grade and the trip was an overnight at Stokes.  I went to Catholic School and our 8th grade trip was some resort in Poconos.  Swimming, horseback riding and at night we had a dance with the other schools that were there.   Also went to Statue of Liberty in 8th.

7th grade we went to South Street Seaport and Stock Exchange, 6th was Museum of Natural History.  

Can't remember before that but know there was a ton of trips.   

Briesmom38
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I went to a Catholic Grammer school too,lol  But left for 6th grade at the middle school.  I can remember going on a bunch of trips, I can't really remember where, lol  I do remember going skiing that was fun!  The middle school and high school I didn't go on any trips.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

kianka
by Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

My son is in 5th grade, and his class is going to Liberty Science Center. My girls are in Pre-K at the same school and they are going to a farm. I love class trips for the kids. I always enjoyed them when I was younger. The movies is such a great idea. The kids will have so much fun!

jerzeymomof2
by Member on Apr. 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM

My son, who is now in 7th grade, had a 5th grade trip on the River Lady, complete with DJ and everything. It was really nice, and I got to go as one of the chaperones, which was great. The kids had a great time. I don't know what they'll do next year when my younger son is in 5th. It's been a boat trip for years, but I think last year they may have gone to the Howell Pointe Swim Club.

concrete77
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I personally think school trips are great for the kids... when my son was a young boy his school in Middletown had trips for so many different and exciting things and fully supervised. 

NJbeachmom
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly don't think they have near enough school trips!.. Some kids learn better hands on and our area has so much to offer that they really need to take the time and explore them instead of have them just sitting in the classroom reading about them!

awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Quoting NJbeachmom:

I honestly don't think they have near enough school trips!.. Some kids learn better hands on and our area has so much to offer that they really need to take the time and explore them instead of have them just sitting in the classroom reading about them!

Totally agree.  I remember going on all sorts of trips that coincided with lessons we were learning.  Fire house, police station, bank, hospital, aquariums, zoos.  And of course there were the fun ones too!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)