Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Movie Review: Bridesmaids LOL or Gross Out?

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

Just watched Bridesmaids, and wonder what you gals think... was it laugh out loud funny, or gross out - not your kind of humor.

I did find a lot of it funny, but wish the language and "intimate" scenes didn't have to be so graphic.  Why the harsh language?  Do women have to prove they can curse as much as the guys?

I do love Maya Rudolf, and the casting of her - not a conventional beauty - in so many films as the romantic lead. 

What did you think?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
xMommaKayx
by Member on Apr. 21, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I have it on my DVR but haven't watched it yet, will let you know when I do.  I thought that it would be a good date night movie, but my date is sleeping on the couch. lol.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM
Just started watching it on demand. Not sure what some of the scenes add. The opening scene with Annie and some guy served no purpose at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Yes, I agree.  It could have been just seeing them go into the bedroom, and then have the next morning scene - which did tell you the dynamic of the relationship. Didn't really need the bouncing around on the bed to convey that story.

Sometimes it seems the movie directors choose to include either sex or language that will get them the R rating.  Maybe more people go to see movies if they are R???

positronicmommy
by Group Owner on Apr. 22, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I heard so much hype over this film and was dying to see it. I found it funny but not as great as it was hyped up to be. I didn't mind the cursing and the intimate scene in  the beginning was hysterical. Probably one of the funniest I have seen in a movie because it was poking fun at sex scenes. All in all it was ok not great and not something I would watch more than once!

MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I think Melissa McCarthy made the movie - she was so funny, cute, outrageous, and original.  The rest of the cast did a good job in fairly sterotypical roles, but she was the breakout character for me.  Loved her in every scene.

I do see your point on the sex scene... and hubby and I did both laugh... but I really did not like the use of the C word in the store scene where Annie's character goes over the edge with a customer.  Any insult, said in a hostile loud way would have worked.  I just find this word becoming common place and I don't think that's a good thing.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting MonarchMom22:

I think Melissa McCarthy made the movie - she was so funny, cute, outrageous, and original.  The rest of the cast did a good job in fairly sterotypical roles, but she was the breakout character for me.  Loved her in every scene.

I do see your point on the sex scene... and hubby and I did both laugh... but I really did not like the use of the C word in the store scene where Annie's character goes over the edge with a customer.  Any insult, said in a hostile loud way would have worked.  I just find this word becoming common place and I don't think that's a good thing.

"C" word is becoming very commplace.  The sex scene at the beginning served (IMO) no purpose.  I really didn't even find it anything more than a minor chuckle.  I think having them in bed and him asking her if she was leaving would have explained the relationship perfectly without the details.  I found the scene in the bridal store hysterical.  And when Maya went out into the street and stopped I had tears in my eyes.  Haven't finished watching it yet so I'll let you know the final verdict later.  

Briesmom38
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I haven't been able to watch it all the way thru.  I catch it hear and there, but it doesn't hold my interest long enough.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

awesomemommy2
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Finished watching it last night and just glad that I didn't pay money for it.  Some funny parts but not all that.  

MonarchMom22
by Member on Apr. 23, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Have to say that I find myself using the phrase "look away" ever since I saw the scene in the Bridal salon!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)