Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cold brewed coffee

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 161 Total Views
I'd seen this technique a few times in food blogs and finally decided to try it. You make ice coffee by steeping half a pound of med roast ground coffee in 1 gal of cold water. Let it sit covered overnight, then filter out the grounds. You store it in the fridge and have ice coffee base for the week - or a least a few days, depending on how much you drink.

Got to say I am convinced. The coffee tastes really good, no bitter taste, and it is strong enough for me, though I don't consider it a "concentrate" as some recipies call it.

I grind the beans just before I make it, which improves that flavor. Straining the coffee is a bit of a chore. I pour it through a paper filter inside a wire mesh strainer, changing the a paper once or twice. But it is less work then brewing and chilling hot coffee, and you get a big batch.

Anyone else try this?
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
awesomemommy2
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I saw it on "On the Road" on food network. They went to a coffee place that did it. I personally cannot see it being easier. I used to just just brew my morning coffee and throw the extra in the fridge and serve over ice later in the afternoon. Now that I have the keurig I just brew it into a frozen mug so as to not water it down too much with the ice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonarchMom22
by Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Well the Keurig does make the easiest coffee out there - totally agree.  I love it at the office since I know it is fresh, fast, and no clean-up required.  But for home I need a much larger amount of coffee. 

Weekends usually have 3-4 coffee drinkers looking for iced coffee a few times a day.  Since the cold-brew has 1/3 less caffine, you can enjoy it and not get over-buzzed.  And I can do it once and have the coffee in the fridge for the entire weekend, cold and ready. 

Coffee has definitely improved over time.  You can get such a better quality coffe in the supermarkets now, plus there are so many ways to brew at home.

Briesmom38
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I have a Keurig at home too!  So when I want ice coffee I just brew a cup, it works out well for me since I'm the only one in the house that drinks it.

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)