Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

July Fourth Treats

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

Saw this and cant wait to try a few

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
awesomemommy2
by Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Not sure why link didnt post

http://www.APP.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=B3&Dato=20120629&Kategori=MULTIMEDIA02&Lopenr=306290042&Ref=PH/Red-white-blue-gallery?odyssey=mod|defcon|img|Frontpage

MonarchMom22
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I think the link above will work.

Are you making anything special?  The deserts in the photos look a bit complicated to make in the hot weather.  I usually do a blueberry pie with vanilla icecream.

Last week I was making peach pies, and had only enough peaches for 2 and 1/2 pies.  So for the third I added blueberries and cherries to the peaches.  I put a crumb topping on and it came out great.  That may be my new July 4 pie since you get the red and blue fruits, with ice cream for the white.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 11:32 AM

I did red/white/blue fruit tarts last year in the soft shells that they sell by the produce section and red/blue jello cups with whipped cream.  

I may attempt the first one but modify it to either use a pound cake or an angel food (store bought).  I hate putting the oven on in the summer.  

I made also try layered slushies.  I made them last week for the kids when we had a playdate and they loved them.  Only bad thing is that they cannot be made ahead.  But I have 2 magic bullets so I could have everything prepped and then just blend and serve.  

rissymac78
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I found this really cute picture of a flag made out of fruit.  They used long skewers and used blueberries for the blue part, and then alternated sliced bananas and sliced strawberries for the stripes.  Looks easy enough for me, especially since I don't enjoy the kitchen ( I only like what comes out as finished products).

awesomemommy2
by Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Quoting rissymac78:

I found this really cute picture of a flag made out of fruit.  They used long skewers and used blueberries for the blue part, and then alternated sliced bananas and sliced strawberries for the stripes.  Looks easy enough for me, especially since I don't enjoy the kitchen ( I only like what comes out as finished products).

I saw that but my problem is the bananas.  No matter how much lemon juice I soak them in they brown.  

I may try this and have to break the no oven ban (LOL).  

rissymac78
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Oh, I didn't even think about the bananas going brown.  What if I prepare it right before our BBQ and have them for dessert (say make them at 3 and eat them at 7???)

awesomemommy2
by Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 10:25 PM
I tried the bananas with rainbow kabobs that I make. My kids don't like pineapple and they lasted about 2 hours in the house. I had read somewhere to cut up a banana and try different places to find the best location to store them. I haven't done it yet but my sister got 5 hours out of hers in a Rubbermaid container in a dark closet in the basement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonarchMom22
by Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I don't know... I think bananas in this weather are a cut and eat deal.  I would not try to store them outside of the fridge.

I think I might break with tradition and do a key lime pie this year.  I can make it the day before and serve it cold, which I like for pie.  And everyone here likes anything lemon or lime!

Briesmom38
by Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I actually get out of baking this year for the 4th.  I'm going to a birthday party on the 4th, so of course there will be birthday cake big smile mini  I usually make my apple carmel pecan pie, although I might just make it for the weekend, just because,lol

** It's 5 O'clock Somewhere **

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)