Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Donations and fundraisers

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 265 Total Views

Lately I have been inundated with people asking me which charities and benefits are worthwhile to give to.   It seems there are a ton out there now and looking to direct people who ask me so looking for opinions and advice on what your experences are.    I guess since we live here are our home and my car was ruined by the storm people think I am in "the know".   

For me personally the red cross in out.   Other than the crap shelters they are running not really sure what they are doing.   A lot of the churches help out locally and to their congregations but not sure about the ones that are pooping up here and there.    Facebook is inundated with them.  Benefit concerts and eat dinner here and they will give 10% to help restore the shore but not sure where those monies are actually going.   

So if anyone has any insight it would be helpful.

Thanks

by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
rissymac78
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:25 PM

I'm in the same boat as you.  Never sure where to give and if it's actually going to the ones that are really in need.  My SIL's good friend lost everything and she has spina bifida.  Someone close to her started a fund for her to rebuild her home, and I really like that idea, but I always question if all the money is really going to get to her.

BTW, I hope you are recovering well from the storm.  How are your kids holding up?  Feel free to ask if you need anything or just vent if you need to :)

awesomemommy2
by Member on Nov. 23, 2012 at 6:55 PM
Thanks. In the case of your SIL's friend I think that most of the small funds that 100% go to the recipient. Maybe a small bit to overhead but there are no salaries and travel expenses. My friend that works for verizon was at Monmouth park helping out and one if the Red Cross workers was telling her that they were staying at the oyster point in red bank and had a $35 a day meal allowance. That really bothered me that the victims of the storm could sleep on a cot and eat the Red Cross food but the workers didn't have to.

Kids are doing okay. They are now just realizing that Christmas will be very different this year. I feel bad about that. There will be no decorating a tree or baking cookies. We usually have a craft party with friends and that won't be happening.

I on the other hand are about ready to snap. We are still in the house as we did not have any luck with a rental so between the running up and down, no heat other than space heaters, no kitchen of water downstairs I may kill someone soon. Add in that I now need to redocorate the entire downstairs and I am one drink away from 12 steps (lol).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MonarchMom22
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

No water in the kitchen and no heat = no fun at all!   That must be very difficult with small children, and I know you like to keep things clean and organized.  Hope the work goes smoothly.

Personally, I have seen a lot of help from the Red Cross.  On the barrier island, where we are gutting rooms in my mom's house and helping our neighbors clean and winterize, the RC has lots of outposts where you can get cleaning supplies, warm clothes, water, hot soup, coffee, MRE dinners, work gloves, trash bags, etc.  Helped us out a lot as there is limited access to the town, so if you run low on supplies you can't get much done.

I see a lot of folks wearing the "Restore the shore" tees, but I don't know if that is an actural non-profit helping those impacted by Sandy, or just a cute saying.

awesomemommy2
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Ann, glad to hear you guys are doing well. We were in ortley yesterday helping out at my BIL's friends moms house. The only thing she had left was a roof and a few 1/2 walls. We saw the RC there but i just really feel that for all the money they are collecting they should be giving out more than a hot meal and some sponges. Very sad but for a majority of the residents these were summer homes so my empathizes are limited. We are actually heading over with my husbands friend in a bit to pick up some stuff from his house in SSP. They got water on their downstairs but the upper two floors are ok.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

No water in the kitchen and no heat = no fun at all!   That must be very difficult with small children, and I know you like to keep things clean and organized.  Hope the work goes smoothly.

Personally, I have seen a lot of help from the Red Cross.  On the barrier island, where we are gutting rooms in my mom's house and helping our neighbors clean and winterize, the RC has lots of outposts where you can get cleaning supplies, warm clothes, water, hot soup, coffee, MRE dinners, work gloves, trash bags, etc.  Helped us out a lot as there is limited access to the town, so if you run low on supplies you can't get much done.

I see a lot of folks wearing the "Restore the shore" tees, but I don't know if that is an actural non-profit helping those impacted by Sandy, or just a cute saying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awesomemommy2
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:39 PM
http://m.app.com/hurricane/article?a=2012311220031&f=3802

Also here is an article that was in the APP today.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rissymac78
by Member on Nov. 25, 2012 at 7:47 PM

I've been having a hard time understanding the Red Cross as well.  Most that I speak with automatically donate to them, but it seems as though they could be doing more.  I've heard stories that those working with the Red Cross are staying at the Molly Pitcher in Red Bank and have been given a food allowance of $32 a day.  If this is really true, I am disgusted since that money could be spent on those that really lost everything.  I'm definitely going to think twice before I donate to them in the future.

darla1123
by Member on Nov. 26, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Anne, Blue Wave Printing is donating the proceeds from the Restore the Shore shirts.  They donated 40,000 to the Toms River Regional School Hurricane relief fund

http://www.trschools.com/hurricanereliefresources/default.asp

Plus if you look at their face book page, it lists many other donations they have made with the money. They are doing a good thing.   I am planning on heading over there this week to pick up some sweatshirts.

MonarchMom22
by Member on Dec. 2, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Thanks Darlene - I did go to some of the help sites the TR Schools are running.  The folks there were great.

I was able to donate some things, and to receive some things.  They were well organized and efficient.  Happy to support them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN