**A friend told me about this...I haven't tried it yet but plan to in about 2 weeks.**
It never occurred to me to make butter, but apparently it's super easy and a great kitchen project to try with kids.
We found plenty of online resources for making butter and they all focus on one thing: shaking your groove thing. That's right, making butter involves lots of shaking which is really fun for kids. It can be tiring so the more kids you have on hand to share shaking duties the better. (If you're in a hurry, you can always use a food processor, but really now where's the fun in that?)
Okay, are you ready for the complex instructions?
- Find a jar with a lid.
- Pour in heavy cream and close lid ( we used heavy whipping cream....)
- Keep shaking
- Realize your biceps aren't what they used to be.
- Hand off shaking duties to a child.
- When the cream has thickened and become, well, buttery, drain off the remaining buttermilk (around 20 minutes depending on fitness level or number of child helpers). ( with the heavy whipping cream we didn't have anything to pour off )
- Refrigerate to harden a bit.
- Serve to friends and brag!!
I was told to make Salted you just add salt to your taste, and the same for Honey or whatever flavorings you make yours.