Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding toddlers

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 430 Total Views

Good Morning Ladies!

Hope everyone is having a great week :) I just saw that the magazine 'Time' just posted a cover of a mom breastfeeding her 3 year old son. I know it can be a touchy subject so please be respectful of others opinions if they differ from yours.  So what is everyone's take on breastfeeding toddlers??

I, personally, think that if the child can walk and talk, it's definitely time to put the boobie away. 

I haven't read the article but it also said that they are pushing for "co-sleeping" as well. What are your thoughts on co-sleeping? 

by on May. 10, 2012 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
AriMommy
by New Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm with you on this one.  I don't really believe in breastfeeding past age 2, but to each their own. It's not something I would be comfortable doing.  I'm also not big on co-sleeping.  I know most toddlers will try to sleep with their parents as much as possible(my daughter still tries and she's 4 1/2), but I think it's important to set boundaries and instill a little bit of independence.   

hayleebabylove
by Head Admin on May. 10, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! To each their own but I just think that the cover was a little tasteless, not to mention there are probably 57203620385 more important stories they could have used on the cover. It just doesn't sit well with me to see this Mom with that smug look on her face. It just doesn't show the loving bond between a mom and her son--it looks more like she's a drinking fountain just waiting for someone to say something to her about it. I agree about setting boundaries for children as well. Our daughter has never even wanted to sleep in our bed and to be honest, it used to bum me out because I wanted to cuddle with her but now I'm pretty relieved she likes her own space!

Quoting AriMommy:

I'm with you on this one.  I don't really believe in breastfeeding past age 2, but to each their own. It's not something I would be comfortable doing.  I'm also not big on co-sleeping.  I know most toddlers will try to sleep with their parents as much as possible(my daughter still tries and she's 4 1/2), but I think it's important to set boundaries and instill a little bit of independence.   

jillc0821
by New Member on May. 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I have to agree about personal choice. I breastfed my son until he was 18 months, and I got a lot of gripe for that. Food is abundant in this country so there isn't that need to breastfeed beyond a year. I can't comment on the article because I haven't read it, nor have I really taken a good look at the cover. But I don't have any problems with moms breastfeeding their toddlers. But I sure am glad my toddler drinks from a cup!

KatydydHI
by Member on May. 14, 2012 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I haven't read the article and probably won't.  I saw the cover and I think it's dumb.  As if what parenting choice affects how much of a mom you are.  It's hard no matter what you do, the point is you do it cause you love your kid.  Are you mom enough to love your kid?  Good...now stop posing!

I do attachment parenting, the whole bit.  My toddler still nurses and when the new baby comes we're going to tandem nurse.  It works for us, I'm a happier mom for it, my toddler seems to interact with the world easily, so I feel confident.  It fits in with my lifestyle.  It's how I was raised.  It works now, maybe with the second baby it won't work.  Who knows.  We'll find out soon enough.

I did have to laugh at the picture though.  The other day while we were getting ready for bed Emily tried to walk up and start nursing while she was standing.  Though she didn't get on a chair to do it.  Toddlers will try anything...it's pretty funny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)