Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Nicholas Sparks Books

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

To Me there is nothing in this world better than curling up with a Nicholas Sparks book, or watching it in movies:  

*The Notebook*  

A man with a faded, well-worn notebook open in his lap. A woman experiencing a morning ritual she doesn’t understand. Until he begins to read to her. The Notebook is an achingly tender story about the enduring power of love, a story of miracles that will stay with you forever. Set amid the austere beauty of coastal North Carolina in 1946, The Notebook begins with the story of Noah Calhoun, a rural Southerner returned home from World War II. Noah, thirty-one, is restoring a plantation home to its former glory, and he is haunted by images of the beautiful girl he met fourteen years earlier, a girl he loved like no other. Unable to find her, yet unwilling to forget the summer they spent together, Noah is content to live with only memories. . . until she unexpectedly returns to his town to see him once again. Allie Nelson, twenty-nine, is now engaged to another man, but realizes that the original passion she felt for Noah has not dimmed with the passage of time. Still, the obstacles that once ended their previous relationship remain, and the gulf between their worlds is too vast to ignore. With her impending marriage only weeks away, Allie is forced to confront her hopes and dreams for the future, a future that only she can shape. Like a puzzle within a puzzle, the story of Noah and Allie is just beginning. As it unfolds, their tale miraculously becomes something different, with much higher stakes. The result is a deeply moving portrait of love itself, the tender moments, and fundamental changes that affect us all. Shining with a beauty that is rarely found in current literature, The Notebook establishes Nicholas Sparks as a classic storyteller with a unique insight into the only emotion that really matters.

*Message in a Bottle*  

Thrown to the waves, and to fate, the bottle could have ended up anywhere. Instead, it is found just three weeks after it begins its journey. Theresa Osborne, divorced and the mother of a twelve-year-old son, discovers it during a seaside vacation from her job as a Boston newspaper columnist. Inside is a letter that opens with, “My Dearest Catherine, I miss you my darling, as I always do, but today is particularly hard because the ocean has been singing to me, and the song is that of our life together….” For Garrett, the message is the only way he knows to express his undying love for a woman he has lost. For Theresa, wary of romance since her husband shattered her trust, the message raises questions that intrigue her. Challenged by the mystery, and driven to find Garrett by emotions she does not fully understand, Theresa begins a search that takes her to a sunlit coastal town and an unexpected confrontation. Brought together either by chance or something more powerful, Theresa and Garrett’s lives come together in a tale that resonates with our deepest hopes for finding everlasting love. Shimmering with suspense and emotional intensity, Message in a Bottle takes readers on a hunt for the truth about a man and his memories, and about both the heartbreaking fragility and enormous strength of love. For those who cherished The Notebook and readers waiting to discover the magic of Nicholas Sparks’s storytelling, here is an achingly lovely novel of happenstance, desire, and the choices that matter most.  

*Dear John* 

An angry rebel, John dropped out of school and enlisted in the Army, not knowing what else to do with his life—until he meets the girl of his dreams, Savannah. Their mutual attraction quickly grows into the kind of love that leaves Savannah waiting for John to finish his tour of duty, and John wanting to settle down with the woman who has captured his heart. But 9/11 changes everything. John feels it is his duty to re-enlist. And sadly, the long separation finds Savannah falling in love with someone else. “Dear John,” the letter read…and with those two words, a heart was broken and two lives were changed forever. Returning home, John must come to grips with the fact that Savannah, now married, is still his true love—and face the hardest decision of his life.

The Choice  

Travis Parker has everything a man could want: a good job, loyal friends, even a waterfront home in small-town North Carolina. In full pursuit of the good life—boating, swimming, and regular barbecues with his good-natured buddies—he holds the vague conviction that a serious relationship with a woman would only cramp his style. That is, until Gabby Holland moves in next door. Despite his attempts to be neighborly, the appealing redhead seems to have a chip on her shoulder about him…and the presence of her longtime boyfriend doesn’t help. Despite himself, Travis can’t stop trying to ingratiate himself with his new neighbor, and his persistent efforts lead them both to the doorstep of a journey that neither could have foreseen. Spanning the eventful years of young love, marriage and family, The Choice ultimately confronts us with the most heartwrenching question of all: how far would you go to keep the hope of love alive?  

*The Lucky One*  

When U.S. Marine Logan Thibault finds a photograph of a smiling young woman half-buried in the dirt during his third tour of duty in Iraq, his first instinct is to toss it aside. Instead, he brings it back to the base for someone to claim, but when no one does, he finds himself always carrying the photo in his pocket. Soon Thibault experiences a sudden streak of luck—winning poker games and even surviving deadly combat that kills two of his closest buddies. Only his best friend, Victor, seems to have an explanation for his good fortune: the photograph—his lucky charm.  

Back home in Colorado, Thibault can’t seem to get the photo—and the woman in it—out of his mind. Believing that she somehow holds the key to his destiny, he sets out on a journey across the country to find her, never expecting the strong but vulnerable woman he encounters in Hampton, North Carolina—Elizabeth, a divorced mother with a young son—to be the girl he’s been waiting his whole life to meet. Caught off guard by the attraction he feels, Thibault keeps the story of the photo, and his luck, a secret. As he and Elizabeth embark upon a passionate and all-consuming love affair, the secret he is keeping will soon threaten to tear them apart—destroying not only their love, but also their lives.  

Filled with tender romance and terrific suspense, The Lucky One is Nicholas Sparks at his best—an unforgettable story about the surprising paths our lives often take and the power of fate to guide us to true and everlasting love.  

The Last Song  

Seventeen year-old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, epescially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the simmer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teahcer, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgetable story about love in it myriad forms - first love, the love between parents and children - that demonstrates, as only Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts...and heal them.  

__________________________________________________________________________________

Safe Haven  

When a mysterious young woman names Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival questions about her past. beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite he reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the clos-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family.  

But even as katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secert that still haunts and terrifies her...a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered Oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of tanslent safety and one of risker rewards...and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven. 

The Best of Me  

"Everyone wanted ti believe that endless love was possible. She'd believed in it once, too, back when she was eighteen"

In the spring of 1984, high school students Amanda Collen and Dawson Cole fell deeply, irrevocably in love. Though they were from opposite sides of the tracks, their love for one another seemed to defy the the realities of life in the small town of Oriental, North Carolina. But as the summer of their senior year came to a close, unforeseen events would tear the young couple apart, setting them on redically divergent paths.  

Now, twenty-five years later, Amanda and Dawson are summoned back to Oriental for the funeral of Tuck Hostetler, the mentor who once gave shelter to theri high school romance. Neither has lived the life they imagined...and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever changed their lives. As Amanda and Dawson carry out the instructions Tuck left behind, for them, they realize that everything they thought they knew - about Tuck, about themselves, and about the dreams they held dear - was not as it seemed. Forced to confront painful memories, the two former lovers will discover undeniable truths about the choices they have made. And in the course of a single, searing weekend, they will ask of the living, and the dead.  

Can love truly rewrite the past?

*Movies*

by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
peacheylady
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 9:48 AM
Sounds like books, I may be interested in checking out. Thanks. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmcgruntwife
by Owner and Designer on May. 17, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i love them, im trying to get all the summaries up there, its just taking me sometime...too many and doing too much at once:)

Quoting peacheylady:

peacheylady
by Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:03 AM
I love to read! Im reading something now that is way off what I would normally read. But I hope it will help. :)

Quoting usmcgruntwife:

i love them, im trying to get all the summaries up there, its just taking me sometime...too many and doing too much at once:)

Quoting peacheylady:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmcgruntwife
by Owner and Designer on May. 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM

i'd rather read and paint more than anything in this world...and sometimes it helps to read "off topic"

Quoting peacheylady:

I love to read! Im reading something now that is way off what I would normally read. But I hope it will help. :)

Quoting usmcgruntwife:

Quoting peacheylady:

Marinemom03
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:13 AM

WOW ! I love to read and have only read a couple of these,and always looking for more.Thanks for posting now I know some more I'd be interested in

usmcgruntwife
by Owner and Designer on May. 17, 2012 at 10:14 AM

oh i love reading...once i get these summries up i will go through other books that i have and i will get them put up to...I'm just a fanatic over Nicholas Sparks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)