Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Powerful Women in History 1 of 10 - Eleanor of Aquitaine

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

Eleanor of Aquitaine
born: 1122?; died: 1204

Eleanor was one of the wealthiest and most powerful women in Europe and the world during the High Middle Ages. Eleanor inherited the Duchy of Aquitaine and Poitiers after her father’s death when she was only 15. As a result, Eleanor became an independent ruler in her own right receiving the titles of Duchess of Aquitaine and Countess of Poitiers. Aquitaine was the largest and wealthiest province of France during the 12th century. Unlike many other monarchs and women of the Middle Ages, Eleanor and her family were very well educated. Eleanor is credited for having transformed Aquitaine into one of the largest intellectual and cultural centers in Medieval Western Europe.

Eleanor became Queen Consort to Louis VII of France in 1137. During her marriage to Louis, she participated in the Second Crusade in 1147 and even traveled with her husband to the Byzantine Empire. Eleanor became a key figure in developing trade agreements between Western Europe, Constantinople, and the Holy Land. She eventually had the marriage to Louis annulled in 1152 and in 1154, Eleanor became Queen Consort to Henry II of England.

In 1170, Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, was assassinated for going against King Henry II. Eleanor, among many others, strongly opposed the assassination. This eventually led to the Revolt of 1173-1174 in which Eleanor, three of her sons, and rebel supporters sided against Henry. The revolt failed, however, and Eleanor was imprisoned for sixteen years.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamivon2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:12 PM

wow 16 years in prison must have been hell back then

momkaribg
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Yes that would have been awful.

Quoting mamivon2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Totally!! 

Quoting mamivon2:

jerzeetomato
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM

She was a very interesting woman.  Not typical at all for this period in history.

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

I agree! :)

Quoting jerzeetomato:

She was a very interesting woman.  Not typical at all for this period in history.

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Thanks for posting! :)

alliesmom112
by Sandy on May. 7, 2012 at 1:56 PM

How interesting. I couldn't imagine 16 years in prison.

dixiegurl223626
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:41 PM

interesting

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Wow, what  trip back into time... awesome!  And I love the painting of her it looks so beautiful.

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Omg "16 years in prison" I would just die, I could not spend a night in prison not to mention 16 years. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN