Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Powerful Women in History 3 of 10 - Maria Theresa of Austria

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

Maria Theresa of Austria

born: 1717; died: 1780

Maria Theresa succeeded her father, Holy Roman Emperor Charles VI, as empress of the Hapsburg controlled lands of Central Europe in 1740. She made her son, Joseph II, coregent in 1765 after the death of her husband.

In the same year Maria Theresa came to power, Fredrick II of Brandenburg-Prussia initiated the War of Austrian Succession by invading the Hapsburg province of Silesia. Fredrick refused to recognize Maria Theresa as the rightful heir to the throne. He rallied other nations such as Bavaria, Saxony, France, and Spain to side with him and contribute to the conflict. Maria Theresa retaliated by rallying Hungarian arms to her defense. As a result, she was able to repel the invading armies and preserve the Hapsburg state as a major European power. The war officially ended in 1748 with the signing of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle.

Maria Theresa brought about many economic and political changes to her empire. She increased the size of the army by 200 percent and increased taxes in order to guarantee a steady income for the government, and in particular for the military. She centralized the government by combining the Austrian and Bohemian chancellaries, formerly separate, into one administrative office. She also started what became known as the Diplomatic Revolution in 1756 when she created an alliance with France, a former enemy, to serve as a coalition against the newly allied Prussia and Great Britain. Her reforms and political decisions were successful in strengthening the economy and the state in general.

Maria Theresa was also a participant in the Enlightenment. She strongly promoted education and liberal politics. She founded Imperial and Royal Academy of Science and Literature in Brussels and she supported medical research by demanding that the University of Vienna be given money to make the medical faculty more efficient. Some of Maria Theresa’s civil reforms included the abolition of witch-burning and torture, getting rid of capital punishment, and making education mandatory.

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mamivon2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Thank you:) interesting to read all this

MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I thought so too! 

Quoting mamivon2:

Thank you:) interesting to read all this

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thank you! Loved it. :)

dixiegurl223626
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM

THese are so interesing. I loved the dresses back then!

Charizma77
by Carissa on May. 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM
Thanks!
MamaMandee
by Mandee on May. 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Me too! 

Quoting dixiegurl223626:

THese are so interesing. I loved the dresses back then!

KymberleeAnn
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:55 PM

"Maria Theresa was also a participant in the Enlightenment. She strongly promoted education and liberal politics. She founded Imperial and Royal Academy of Science and Literature in Brussels and she supported medical research by demanding that the University of Vienna be given money to make the medical faculty more efficient. Some of Maria Theresa’s civil reforms included the abolition of witch-burning and torture, getting rid of capital punishment, and making education mandatory."

I love this part she sounds my kind of girl! Smile....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN