Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi ladies,
Did you have high self esteem as a young girl?
If you could give young girls advice about reaching their full potential, what would it be?

girl giving flower

by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM
Replies (51-56):
s.adams83
by New Member on Jul. 4, 2012 at 11:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my ups and downs with my self esteem.  When I was a young child I had no problems with it, but in high school things changed. I got picked on a lot and I had bad acne so I never really felt great about myself.  All that changed when I got out of  high school and into the real world, I realized everyone has their insecurities to deal with.  I needed to find my strengths and let them shine through.  After high school I found out that a girl I went to school with looked up to me and strove to be like me.  I couldn't believe it, I was really shocked.  What I have in bold is what I would tell young girls.   

ETA: There is really so much more I want to add but I don't want to start preaching.  lol

Uzma_mom_of_2
by Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Same here, only it was my mom who torn it to pieces. My dad always called me beautiful. If only he had gotten custody instead of my mom. But of course my life would be drastically different than what it is, and I wouldn't trade my children for anything.

Quoting mandapanda21:

Growing up, I had VERY low self esteem.  Lets just say my dad was a complete jerk.  I married the man of my dreams, my hero almost 5 years ago and I feel a lot better about myself.  He tells me I'm beautiful all the time, it just feels good to hear it.

I very rarely bother to check a board twice, so debate, get mad, or whatever it is that'll make you feel better, if you don't like what I have to say, because it won't bother me :)sticking out tongue

valentina408
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I had abusive parents and literally no self esteem; so when the first boy paid attention to me at only 15 years old, I eloped with him when I was 18, had baby at 19, he left us when I was 21.  I've struggled always with bad self esteem, but my good looks and success in business helped, but all I wanted was a nice family life.  Now I'm 53, my company went out of business, I'm chubby and I'm right back to where I was when I was a kid. Sounds silly, but those parent tapes in my head play over and over.

Tennismom360
by New Member on Jul. 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

I was picked on big time by the other kids because I was so tall and skinny and smart. Not only that but I was a top tennis player as well.  I never cared about the other kids. I knew they were jealous. I had a plan and I stuck to my plan.  I got a full scholarship to a university to study and play tennis and I left all the haters behind.  I never really cared if people liked me or not.

Now that I have three girls, I never really thought about self-esteem issues. My girls are very busy playing tennis and studying.  They play about 6 hrs of tennis a day in the summer and about 3-4 hours a day when school is in session. I think sports really helps girls with self-esteem.  They learn so much when they compete.

I model self love and confidence. I run daily, eat healthily and take care of myself.  I am fit and strong and when people try to bully me, I address the issue right away.  This way they see how to deal with conflict and adversity.  Once another mother told my 8 year old that my 11 year was a cheater (on the tennis court). I got on her face right away in front of my 8 year old and demanded that she apologize immediately to my 8 yr old for her very inappropriate comment.  Stuff like that.

Beign this way, does not come easy. I have read lots of books and articles on confidence and self-esteem, etc.  I am still learning and doing the best I can.  But it helps that I am not a follower, but more so a leader. And I don't believe the crap that people tell you. My PE teacher in elementary school told me I was slow and could not run fast.  Idiot!  I have run a 5:30 mile as a 36 year old.  As a kid, I won a 200 m race once.  If you want it badly enough, you will work hard to achieve your goal.

Anyway, I teach these concepts every day.  

TurboMom81
I love baking cookies!!!
Yesterday at 2:17 AM
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I had VERY low self worth growing up.  I was Bullied K-12th grade.  I was Bullemic.   I was called "It" to the point where being refered to as a "she" has become a compliment. LOL Pathetic, I know.

That is the LAST thing I want for my girls.  I tell then everyday how beautiful and special they are.  I'm trying to teach them that they can grow up to be whatever they want to be if they are willing to work hard enough.  I'm busting my butt getting through Nursing School, hoping to be a positive example for them.

Chris3kids1dog
by on Jul. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM

I had bad self esteem growing up.  I now tell my daughter kids are mean and as long as she is polite and kind no matter how hard it is now it will be all different when she is out of school

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN