Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you help your daughter reach her full potential?

Posted by   + Show Post

As part of the CafeMom Influencer Program for Dove, we asked moms of girls 8-18 to spend some quality time together doing fun mom-daughter activities.*

Check out some of the great footage of our influencer moms and their daughters.

Then, read what our moms are saying about their experiences and tell us what you're doing to help your daughter reach her full potential.

*For a full list of the activities and to learn more about sparking positive discussion, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Replies (21-30):
Kmakksmom
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I have four girls, ages 12 *will be 13 on Sunday!*, 11, 10, and 9.  My son is 3.  I'm just here for them whenever they need someone to talk to.

Bmat
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I encourage her to not avoid activities because of gender bias.

starreyedcutie
by Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Loved reading these :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
countrygirlkat
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM

That is awesome about the rollerskating!  I think it can be hard for kids to really understand that we had a life before them, lol.  It is great that they were able to learn about a skill you have that they didn't know about and at the same time just have fun and bond. 

Quoting fantasticfour:

My daughters are 12 and 14 and we have a very close relationship.  Granted there is the horrible "I don't knows" and "MOOOOOMMMM!!" in there but for the most part we are close and have a good time.  I hope this relationship grows into a beautiful friendship once they are grown up and have families of their own.  We have always been close and although I wish they weren't typical teenagers I do love my relationship with them.

We did a couple of activities together this week.  We went rollerskating on Tuesday and had a blast.  They weren't aware I could rollerskate better than they can.  We went during the week when it wasn't crowded and they learned I used to rollerskate competitively.  We had a blast and I taught them how to skate backwards, "rubber leg" and the chicken dance on skates.  The girls had a blast learning all these things and it's like I all of a sudden became "cool" to them.  I thought it was fun and they spent the evening discussing all the things I knew and can't wait for me to go skating with their friends so I can teach them too!

The other thing we did was plan a pool party.  I gave them a budget and a sales paper and they picked out what kind of food and drink they wanted.  Then we got on the computer for the flyers and came up with an awesome design.  I have to say, with all my computer courses in college, they know much more about how Word works than I do!  I learned some interesting things there.  They passed them out and are very proud of the acomplishments that they have done.   We went shopping for it tonight and it's all we talked about.

Do I consider myself a good role model for my daughters?  Absolutely.  I am trying to be the woman I hope they surpass.  I say that because every parent wants their child to be better than they are, have more, and enjoy life more.  I've learned some hard lessons in my life, and I hope I can teach them how to get past it.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Nice words and story's ladies 

Bmat
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Talk about different jobs and what her preferences are.

TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM
Sounds like some fun. I love doing fun things with just the girls
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheBabyFactory4
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM
Finally got that boy. LOL

I love talking to my girls. They are are 8 and almost 7

Quoting Kmakksmom:

I have four girls, ages 12 *will be 13 on Sunday!*, 11, 10, and 9.  My son is 3.  I'm just here for them whenever they need someone to talk to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
slw123
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I loved reading these!

I try to make time for each of my children individually as often as I can.  We will have little talks in their bedrooms without their siblings interupting or snuggle in bed at bedtime.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I allow her to experience new things as often as possible, without forcing her into anything. My main problem is she gives up too quickly, and seems to feel if she can't do something right the first time that she just can't do it. It's a thin line to walk between pushing too hard and letting her give up too easily.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN