Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you help your daughter reach her full potential?

Posted by   + Show Post

As part of the CafeMom Influencer Program for Dove, we asked moms of girls 8-18 to spend some quality time together doing fun mom-daughter activities.*

Check out some of the great footage of our influencer moms and their daughters.

Then, read what our moms are saying about their experiences and tell us what you're doing to help your daughter reach her full potential.

*For a full list of the activities and to learn more about sparking positive discussion, click here.

CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here.

by on May. 21, 2012 at 1:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
Leelee1008
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

very cool. its always great when you pull out hidden skills on the kids and wow them lol.

Quoting fantasticfour:

My daughters are 12 and 14 and we have a very close relationship.  Granted there is the horrible "I don't knows" and "MOOOOOMMMM!!" in there but for the most part we are close and have a good time.  I hope this relationship grows into a beautiful friendship once they are grown up and have families of their own.  We have always been close and although I wish they weren't typical teenagers I do love my relationship with them.

We did a couple of activities together this week.  We went rollerskating on Tuesday and had a blast.  They weren't aware I could rollerskate better than they can.  We went during the week when it wasn't crowded and they learned I used to rollerskate competitively.  We had a blast and I taught them how to skate backwards, "rubber leg" and the chicken dance on skates.  The girls had a blast learning all these things and it's like I all of a sudden became "cool" to them.  I thought it was fun and they spent the evening discussing all the things I knew and can't wait for me to go skating with their friends so I can teach them too!

The other thing we did was plan a pool party.  I gave them a budget and a sales paper and they picked out what kind of food and drink they wanted.  Then we got on the computer for the flyers and came up with an awesome design.  I have to say, with all my computer courses in college, they know much more about how Word works than I do!  I learned some interesting things there.  They passed them out and are very proud of the acomplishments that they have done.   We went shopping for it tonight and it's all we talked about.

Do I consider myself a good role model for my daughters?  Absolutely.  I am trying to be the woman I hope they surpass.  I say that because every parent wants their child to be better than they are, have more, and enjoy life more.  I've learned some hard lessons in my life, and I hope I can teach them how to get past it.

Leelee1008
by Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM

that is wonderful. its building traditions. and when she gets MUCH older(lol) and has children of her own,she will have special traditions with them.

Quoting 2and2onway:

My daughter, Briana, is almost 11. She is the most amazing young lady. She is my heart and soul. We do so much together, but her favorite thing to do is go grocery shopping, just the two of us. I make it very special since we only grocery shop once a month. I take her out to breakfast at the local pancake house and then we ride to the city to shop. It takes about 2 hrs. During that time we talk, joke and have a great time. It may not seem like much, but for my dd it is special.

Madelaine
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

By setting a good example...I hope!!

daerca574
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I am pushing my daughter to be more social and to branch out of her comfort zone.  I am also pushing her to excel more in school.

MamaMandee
by Mandee on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:28 PM

So wonderful to read these!! 

Rushn311
by Cindy on Jun. 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

My daughter is 9. I think that she gets me and I get her. The one thing she is begging me to do right now is tape her while she plays with her Monster high dolls. I promised her and I will do so. We have open communication and we talk about feelings all the time. I know she loves my past stories and I hope that she remembers them enough to pass them on to her kids.

I try to paint her nails, do her hair, talk about clothes, boys, but also be a mom at the same time. I know her and I will have some struggles as she gets older because her and I clash a lot, but I also think we will be great friends as she gets older.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jun. 3, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Aww sounds like a fun time!

Quoting Maries_Mom23:

My oldest daughter is 8 and has been going through a very rough time lately.  She has a thyroid condition that is basically making her hit puberty early and she's not dealing with it well.  We spend a lot of time talking about it and about how everything makes her feel, etc.

This past week, we waited until her 5 year old sister was asleep and done mani/pedis together, had popcorn and chatted about everything from marbles (her new obsession) to sewing to her upcoming swimming lessons.  I also learned she has some fears of entering 3rd grade in August.

I love spending time with her alone and need more time to do so! :)

elasmimi
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Keeping lines of communication open is always important!

Jerichos_Mommy
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:13 AM

these are all wonderful stories.  Thanks for sharing

LOswald0314
by Member on Jun. 4, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Thanks for sharing your stories ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN