Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mommy Daughter time

Posted by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do you and your daughter have mommy daughter time together? I have one daughter and two sons and I find it hard for me to get time in for just my daughter and I. We arent really as close as Id like for us to be and I think its because we never have time to get out by ourselves. I would love to have a good connection with my daughter but for some reason we just dont click :( this really makes me sad and breaks my heart because I do love her with all my heart just like I love my boys. Has anyone else been through this or felt like this before? 

by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM
My daughter and I love to have time alone together . Even if it's is just snuggling on the couch watching her favorite movie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sum1s_mommy
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!

Im so sorry to hear that is happening, as mommy-daughter time is essential. I don't have that issue, but only because my daughter is my only child. I can imagine how difficult that would be to manage with two more childen.

However, I have some suggestions. I think you should do whatever it is ths=at she likes, first. (Watch her favorite T.V. show with her, and ask questions about it; Play her favorite game/sport; go shopping in her favorite place; take her out with one of her girlfriends to make it more inviting to her) After you have "broken the ice", you can start to talk about how you want to have a closer relationship with her and want to spend time alone with her. 

I think that by going this route, you will find that it is less intrusive for her, and that she will respond easier because it will feel more natural and organic.

Good luck! 

WesternNYmom
by Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM

My son is kid of clingy, and sometimes my daughter feels leftout.  I try to spend as much time with dd alone. I will take her on mother-daughter shopping trips, or we will spend time styling each others hair, or we will sit outside on the patio and paint our nails together.    I also found letting her help me cook dinner or bake special desserts for holidays and family celebrations makes my daughter feel special. 

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I also have a daughter and 2 sons...my daughter is the HARDEST person to get along with or to please...maybe its her age...15...but she's mouthy and it just gets the better of me. My boys are so good I wish I had 10 more, but her...GRRRRR.....

BUT...she's my shopping buddy, gossip buddy, beach buddy, cooking buddy....in some ways, I know i'll never be that close to anyone else but I also know no one else can make me so frustrated!

DAUGHTERS!!! Go figure....   =/

Des10ed2b
by New Member on Jun. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, i do mommy/daughter time with my daughter and she LOVES it. admittedly, we dont get to do nearly as often as i would like. She is 6 and her 3 year old brother hogs up a lot of the time. He is a much more high maintenence child than she is. But once a month or so i will take her to do something JUST me and her and my husband will take our son. We will go shopping, go do a craft, go see a movie, etc. She absolutely loves it. Even if it is just a trip to the grocery store, me and her. She has already planned for us to go see Brave together when it comes out!

NADIA-R
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I'm on the other side I can have mom + daughter time with my 2 oldest DD's with no problems we can talk and spend time together. but with my 15 YO son its so hard we just can't seems to connect like we use to when he was younger.

have you tried making a what you have in common list so you can connect or talk more easily...?

Akeso
by on Jun. 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Definitely make time just you and her. My DD craves my attention and punishes me by being mouthy and aggressive when I don't, and then I start punishing and it's a vicious cycle. Start praising her instead (I can't believe the change) and make a daily ritual, however short, eg coming home from school and asking about her day... My DD opens up when I tuck her in bed after reading her a short bible story for young kids that she asks questions - don't know how old yours is. Anyway something that she can remember together with you and that's just with her, so she feels she has time with you alone if she has anything she wants to share and to make her feel attached to you. Even if she's older, just make some time in your day that's just you and her. Good luck!

babynurse454
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Yes... ,every evening a hour before her bedtime she gets in bed with me and we snuggle and talk, watch t.v, She is 10 years old. .next month just her and I are doing a 10 day cruise, dh isn't going he is tired of cruises,so this will be just us girls! DH and I are very involved in dd life,she is in her 3 ed year of karate is a blue belt, and we tell her she can do and be anything she sets her mind to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Thank you for replying ;) we talk every night before bed about her day ;)

Quoting Akeso:

Definitely make time just you and her. My DD craves my attention and punishes me by being mouthy and aggressive when I don't, and then I start punishing and it's a vicious cycle. Start praising her instead (I can't believe the change) and make a daily ritual, however short, eg coming home from school and asking about her day... My DD opens up when I tuck her in bed after reading her a short bible story for young kids that she asks questions - don't know how old yours is. Anyway something that she can remember together with you and that's just with her, so she feels she has time with you alone if she has anything she wants to share and to make her feel attached to you. Even if she's older, just make some time in your day that's just you and her. Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgmmw
by Member on Jun. 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Have a fun time with your daughter ;)

Quoting babynurse454:

Yes... ,every evening a hour before her bedtime she gets in bed with me and we snuggle and talk, watch t.v, She is 10 years old. .next month just her and I are doing a 10 day cruise, dh isn't going he is tired of cruises,so this will be just us girls! DH and I are very involved in dd life,she is in her 3 ed year of karate is a blue belt, and we tell her she can do and be anything she sets her mind to!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN