Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not wanting life to repeat

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. I'm a stay at home mom with two children; a boy (4) and a girl (6).

I have struggled with depression since my daughter was born 6 years ago. It's been a lot worse lately and I have struggled keeping my symptoms from my kids, especially my daughter. She is shy and sensitive herself and I am scared to death I am going to screw her up! I think of how I grew up, with now real strong female role models, an alcohic dad and a victim of bullying my whole life. I just want to do right my her and help her build a strong sense of herself now.
I look forward to reading posts and getting to know you all. Also, hopefully to learn some great things to help me and my daughter in our journey together!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Welcome to the group!

You sound like a wonderful mother and I'm  your daughter is so very lucky to have you as a mom!

I had a pretty tough upbringing...and as much as a I try to forget about it and stop being resentful, the most positive thing I can do is make sure my children have a totally different life. You cant protect them from everything, but you do your best to always be there thru it all! I know you'll make out just fine!

jerzeetomato
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi!  Welcome!  and......{{HUGS}}

Make sure you get yourself the support and help you need, and if you're daughter is sensing something is off, don't hide it, but tell her in very simple terms that you are having a problem, but that you'll be fine because you're getting the help you need.  She will get more strength from that than you can ever imagine, and she will learn early on that it's ok to not be "fine" all the time and to ask for help when necessary.

And of course, you have a bevy of "therapists" right here at your disposal ;)    Stop in and vent, cry, talk, ask....as often as you need.

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 14, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Welcome to the group! I'm so glad you've joined!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annztribe
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Daughters have a way of making us look at ourselves don't they? I call mine my little mirror. So much of who she is, she learned from me. And as a result, nothing has inspired me more to work on myself, than her.

I have had a lot of things to work through from my childhood too. My children, daughter especially, are what make me dedicated to examine any area of my own heart that made need to be looked at. I'm relentless and over the years, I have exoerienced a lot of healing.

My advice? Keep examining your own heart and attitudes/actions. You can't give what you don't already posess. And likewise, what you do have, they will pick up on. Some of the hugest blessings in my life have been when I was able to teach my children a new truth that I had learned and watch it bear good fruit in their lives. Keep loving, forgiving, healing yourself, and you'll have good fruit to pass on to your daughter. Especially the attitude of never giving up!

SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Yesterday at 9:25 PM
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I was browsing Kindle books last night, and came upon this book, Not Like My Mother. Not sure it'll help, though. I haven't read it. But maybe?

It's free right now.

kgmmw
by Member on Jun. 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Welcome to the group :)

RainyRain
by on Jun. 16, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Don't worry girlie, I am sure you are doing an amazing job and I am sure that you will be the BEST mother to your kids.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 5:31 AM

hugsWelcome I'm sure you are going to be a great mom to your little girl.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Welcome to the group!

elizabeth703
by Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Welcome to the group hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN