Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fabulous Female Characters In Kids Books

Posted by   + Show Post

I love books. Always have and I am hoping my daughter will too. She's just getting into reading, and I can't wait to share with her all of my favorites, especially those with protagonists that are smart, brave, funny, independent -- and female. I think books are a fantastic way to introduce girls to amazing, strong female characters - ones who overcome problems, worries and adversity, all of which may appear with many different faces: as dragons or mean girls or, yes, Lord Voldemort (I love Hermoine).

There are strong females everywhere, from picture books to young adult novels and everything in between. Try to surround your daughter with some of these titles, read them along with her and talk about these fantastic female role models in the pages - they all find their own way to be strong and confident, just like your daughter can!

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Olivia by Ian Falconer

One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale by Demi (This one is a great book about how a clever girl outwits a mean king and helps a whole village.)

The Goose Girl (Books of Bayern) by Shannon Hale

The Cam Jensen series by David Adler

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Igrain the Brave by Cornelia Funke

The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter (This is a fun series about an all-girls spy academy.)

The Chronicles of Estelliana Series by Kate Forsyth

The Ivory Rose by Belinda Murrell

Wildwood by Colin Meloy

The Alice Miranda Series by Jacqueline Harvey

The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials trilogy) by Phillip Pullman

The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins

The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

What am I missing from this list? Share your favorite kids books with strong female characters! 

ŠiStockphoto.com/pixdeluxe 

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (31-35):
SlightlyPerfect
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I'm kinda saddened by this list because the majority of titles is "all-girls" based. I want DD to read about boys and girls interacting together as protagonists, not with all girls or against an outdated manifestation of patriarchy.

slightlyperfect

NADIA-R
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Thanks my girl will love some of these
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomTiara19
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Hi,

Thank you so much for this list!

My daughter is 13 and unlike me at this age is an avid reader and has impeccable grades.

She of course is reading the hunger games books for now.Cant tear her away from them...lol...

~Tia

Lagoona
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Lucy from the Chronicles of Narnia!

Fira from Tinkerbell

Fa Mulan - Woman Warror

Lagoona
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM

A few powerful women from History: Catherine the Great of Russia; Elanor of Aquitaine; Queen Elizabeth the 1st; Queen Cleopatra of Egypt; and Queen Nefertit, and Queen Hatshepsut. 

These women did some amazing things in very male oriented world.  And lets not forget the women who gave us the right to vote!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)