Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A better life.....

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
  • 3 Replies

I have had a very turbulent life. I have spent the past four years rebuilding after losing everything in a divorce. I walked away with almost nothing, but the most important thing, full custody of my now 9 year old daughter. I had to file bankruptcy and I lost my house. I moved into an apartment in another county and remarried and had a son. Then we moved into a mobile home which my mom paid for in a very nice community. My life is full of challanges. My daughter has ADHD and anxiety, though she has greatly improved and just finished her best year ever. My son is 2 and 1/2 and has delays and is in the Early Intervention Program and will go into an IU. I work part time from home and am in the process of getting a second job. I just graduated with my Associates. Degree. My husband and I don't have a lot of money. I am working so hard to make our family a fun and happy one doing things like going to the local pool, having cookouts, playing games, doing crafts, ect. But I feel like I am at a stalemate. I always wanted to work with and be a foster mom. (It's what I went to school for) I want to find a good church community. My husband is Catholic and we are raising the kids Catholic, but I am not. And he gets upset we don't go to church together, but I don't go at all because I don't know anyone out here well and I am not sure where to go. Also I want to do volunteer work, something I can do with my daughter and be active in the community. I want to plant roots here and be apart of things that go on. But sometimes I am afraid to reach out because our financial standing isn't great and there are a lot of people driving BMW's and Caddies out here. I am not ashamed of my life. I work very hard and I am a good mother and a good person. I just don't know where to begin. Any advice? Or stories of how you started over?

by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
jerzeetomato
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Start with church.  If your hubby and you are raising the kids Catholic, find a church.  Start going (and inquire about converting if you are open to that).  You'll meet like minded families, and probably find opportunities to volunteer.  Don't worry about the BMWs and the Caddies; just be yourself and let people get to know you.  

Another place to start is the volunteering.  If you are interested in social work and fostering children, try Big Brothers and Big Sisters.  You could sign up for a little sister, which would also give you a chance to involve your daughter in the volunteering.

KaylaMillar
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:29 PM
I agree with the pp by finding a good church. When you find one that you like I would start to get involved I things, even of it is just the nursery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ceciliam
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I agree! And don't worry, I seriously doubt anyone is worried about what you are driving:)

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Start with church.  If your hubby and you are raising the kids Catholic, find a church.  Start going (and inquire about converting if you are open to that).  You'll meet like minded families, and probably find opportunities to volunteer.  Don't worry about the BMWs and the Caddies; just be yourself and let people get to know you.  

Another place to start is the volunteering.  If you are interested in social work and fostering children, try Big Brothers and Big Sisters.  You could sign up for a little sister, which would also give you a chance to involve your daughter in the volunteering.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)