Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Watch These Movies, Build Strong Girls

Posted by   + Show Post

Even before I had a kid, I loved watching kids' movies. Give me a great Pixar-animated film or The Princess Diaries and a bucket of popcorn and I'm a happy camper. Don't even ask me if I lined up for tickets to the first screenings of the Harry Potter movies (yes, I did).

Once Kiddo came along and we re-watched these with her, I began to notice what she was picking up in terms of role models from these movies. I saw some of them in a different light -- some better, some not as good. There definitely are movies aimed at kids that don't quite portray girls or women in the best way, that are a bit lacking in inner strength or those that relying on others to save the day (Hello, Prince Charming). Not exactly what I want my daughter thinking about as I'm trying to build up her self esteem.

That is why I am so jazzed to see the latest Pixar movie, Brave, which is in theaters now. The first Pixar movie with a female lead is nothing short of the perfect "strong girl" movie for a mommy-daughter movie date. I rounded up some more good movies you can watch with your daughter, to get conversations going about confidence, strength, figuring out your own individual abilities and more.

How to Train Your Dragon - Yes, Hiccup is the lead, but female viking Astrid is a force to be reckoned with as well.

The Incredibles - Not only do we have two females -- Elastigirl/Helen and Violet -- with great powers that have to become comfortable with who they are, it is a good movie to kick off discussions about mother-daughter relationships.

All of the Harry Potter movies - Hermione is a girl who isn't afraid to be called smart and she lets people know it...and uses her smarts to help her friends. A fabu and fiercely strong character!

Coco Before Chanel - For older girls, this movie follows the story of Coco Chanel's rise from to become one of the world's most influential fashion designers. A interesting view of the fashion world with an emphasis on how she made it as a female in a male-dominated world versus just the "looks" side of fashion.

Ratatouille - Collette, one of the few female chefs in the kitchen, teaches her male counterparts a few things. A great character for a girl who may be interested in a usual "boy" hobby.

Bend It Like Beckham - Jess and Jules help illustrate how to struggle to reach your goals when sometimes it goes against the norm, and how to feel confident once you do it.

What about you and your girls -- what movies are your favorites that have strong female leads? What makes them strong?

ŠiStockphoto.com/kali9

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-45):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Coco Before Chanel is a great one. 

copperswifey
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I can't think of any movies at the moment. :/

dizzy21712
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM

This is a tv show not a movie, but my daughter is very into an Austrailian show called H2O. It is about three girls who become mermaids. It is all about how they save themselves and get themselves out of sticky situations. I don't know of any movies right off the bat other than The princess Diaries which she loves. Also Kim Possible, a disney cartoon is great with a great lead girl, for the younger set.

s.adams83
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

My dd and I like to watch Barbie movies.  I think she would like Bend it like Beckham because she loves to play soccer.  We haven't seen the Anne of Green Gables movies.  I'll have to check into those for her.  

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2012 at 3:09 PM

What great ideas for family mocie night!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)