Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vagina, vajayjay, pee pee......

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM
  • 37 Replies

Do you teach your daughter to say the actual name of her vagina or do you have different names. How do you feel about the MI State reps issue with using the word vagina?

Michigan Rep Barred After Saying 'Vagina:' In a heated debate on the floor of the Michigan State House, Rep. Lisa Brown "made an impassioned speech against a bill that seeks to put new regulations on abortion providers and ban all abortions after 20 weeks," according to NPR.

The remarks that upset the House Leadership were the final words in Brown's speech: "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'" (See video below of female legislators in Michigan making their pleas.)

According to the Detroit News: ""Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, determined Brown's comments violated the decorum of the House, said Ari Adler, spokesman for the Republican majority." via NPR

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I teach my ds that he has a penis and that it's not a toy he should not play with it and no one else to touch or play with his penis.

I feel that it's important that children know the correct words for their body parts so that can know what they are and have know if someone ever tries to touch them in these very special places.

juliethenurse
by New Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 1:38 AM

It is important to me that my children know the correct terms for genetalia. It is a fact that children who know the terms are less likely to be the victims of sexual abuse. That, alone, is reason enough in my mind, to teach them the correct terminology. Besides that, what the hell is the big deal, anyway? We all have genitals, they aren't dirty! If my kids decide to "play" with their genitals, that is fine with me! It is normal and healthy to explore their bodies. Telling my son not to touch his own penis will only give him a complex about it. I will, however, tell them that if they want to touch themselves there, they need to do so in private.

bhwrn1
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:39 AM

I don't have a girl, but my boys know the proper names for their body parts including penis and vagina.

While I don't think using the word was wrong, I think she used it in an inappropriate context. I understand she was trying to make a point, but the mear fact that she said "my vagina" makes it personal and not seem right. Had she said "women's vaginas" then I don't think it would have been as bad. I still don't think she should have been banned, tho.

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:10 AM

We use crazy, ridiculous names around here! They know what they are actually called, but we put a little humor in it so no one feels weird about it

jen113000
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM
We teach correct names.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MZ.B777
by Bobbi on Jun. 20, 2012 at 8:39 AM

My DD knows the correct words but we use silly names also like coota mama.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I have always taught my son the proper names.They are body parts....nothing to be embarrassed about.

Do you moms with daughters teach your daughters the proper terms? Meaning, do you teach them that the outer parts are called the vulva and what you can't see on the outside, is actually the vagina?

super_mom_5
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

i have my daughters call their vajaja, bobo. simply because when we are talking and we say that word people around wont be in a state of shock hearing a 6 year old saying such a big word.

kgmmw
by Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 10:58 AM

this 

Quoting jen113000:

We teach correct names.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM

We never really taught our girls any of the words but somehow they seemed to make one up on their own. Their word is boop. We also decided that we didn't want to change anything either. They eventually learn the word but more when they are older. All of this was by their own design too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)