Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vagina, vajayjay, pee pee......

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you teach your daughter to say the actual name of her vagina or do you have different names. How do you feel about the MI State reps issue with using the word vagina?

Michigan Rep Barred After Saying 'Vagina:' In a heated debate on the floor of the Michigan State House, Rep. Lisa Brown "made an impassioned speech against a bill that seeks to put new regulations on abortion providers and ban all abortions after 20 weeks," according to NPR.

The remarks that upset the House Leadership were the final words in Brown's speech: "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'" (See video below of female legislators in Michigan making their pleas.)

According to the Detroit News: ""Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, determined Brown's comments violated the decorum of the House, said Ari Adler, spokesman for the Republican majority." via NPR

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I taught the proper words and they know when the proper time to use those are but we also have the cutesy names that we use.  I have one son (only male in the house) and I think he's a little more comfortable with the silly names. 

daerca574
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

we do the same.  My son has a "peep"

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

We use crazy, ridiculous names around here! They know what they are actually called, but we put a little humor in it so no one feels weird about it

KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM
We never taught her anything. She just calls it her butt! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

i don't think there is a problem with the proper names

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I think it's sad we don't teach proper names to our kids. An arm's an arm; an eye's an eye. They're not peepers or woo-woos.

My 3-year-old daughter says "vagina." Well, "jyna." And believe me, will she tell you all about jynas and how to wipe them and how to pee pee and how girls have them and boys don't have them. She'll just outline the whole damn process for anyone who'll ask.

The other day she informed my dad (her Pop Pop), who absolutely cannot stand the use of the term vagina in his presence (don't even ask how he took the news when he learned I was going to be in The Vagina Monologues), "And one time I had to go to the dotor because my jyna hurt, Pop Pop. I had wiped too hard when I pee-peed, and she gave me magic cream, and I felt better. I love going to my doctor. But not when I have to get shot. But I don't have to do that until I'm 5." He was like o.O

Now, on the flip side, for whatever reason, I haven't taught her anus. She says butt. And we use pee and poop instead of urination and defecation. But I think that's sufficient for now.

Quoting .Angelica.:

i don't think there is a problem with the proper names

slightlyperfect

PinkParadox
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Well, vagina is the proper word, and I can't imagine grown men being upset that the word was used.  Ludacris!

My daughter knows that it's a vagina, but most of the time we just say privates.

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Right?

But Brown was wrong to personalize the debate. I think that's a big no-no in debating. Never get personal. But Stamas had no grounds for stating the use of the term was a "decorum" violation. I'd have been all like, here's some decorum for ya.

Quoting PinkParadox:

Well, vagina is the proper word, and I can't imagine grown men being upset that the word was used.  Ludacris!

My daughter knows that it's a vagina, but most of the time we just say privates.

slightlyperfect

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We always use the word vagina, its' the correct term! We do say girl parts at times as well

amy7243
by Member on Jul. 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

We use different names.

babyjen314
by on Jul. 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Correct names.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)