Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I seen this in another group and thought what a fun and nostalgic topic this would be.

What is something that you enjoyed as a child, that your children will never know because....

• It is now illegal
  • Technology has improved
  • It no longer exists
  • Parents do not allow it
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:42 AM

Quoting Aslen:

Record Players

Cassettes

VCRs

the first cordless phones

KymberleeAnn
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Oh how true and sad this statement is.

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Going to the library and using actual books for research!  I know libraries are still around, but I know locally they are constantly threatend with closing because of the expense to maintain them.  My son has barely cracked an actual book in doing his last three research papers, because all the information he needs is digitally available without leaving the house.

jerzeetomato
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Our library doesn't even have a card catalog any more!  It's all on the computer.  The first time I had to use that it just felt wrong.  Dewey would be shaking his head!

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Going to the library and using actual books for research!  I know libraries are still around, but I know locally they are constantly threatend with closing because of the expense to maintain them.  My son has barely cracked an actual book in doing his last three research papers, because all the information he needs is digitally available without leaving the house.

Using the card catologue... 

Do poeople wvwn know who or what Dewey is anymore?

Aslen
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM

ours doesn't eiter. i thought I heard a noise.... musta been Dewey rolling in his grave

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Our library doesn't even have a card catalog any more!  It's all on the computer.  The first time I had to use that it just felt wrong.  Dewey would be shaking his head!

Quoting Aslen:

Quoting jerzeetomato:

Using the card catologue... 

Do poeople wvwn know who or what Dewey is anymore?

chris13
by Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:31 AM

this sounds crazy but- i remember going with my dad and picking wild asparagus and strawberries along the fence lines of farms when we where little and my sister who was about 13 was driving the van. wewould come home with grocery bags full. yummy!!

i remember climbing on the top of the house and jumping off to the ground. i remember parents letting you wonder the neighborhood all day long and just coming home when it got dark.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I really want to take Brayden to that drive-in this year. I say every Summer we are going to go.....

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Our pediatrician has the ONLY drive in in NJ...only som many exist thru out the US today. Isnt it sad? But we have taken ours to the drive in and they are NOT impressed. How could they be with the big screen in the air conditioned movie theater??

And I did the pencil thing with the cassettes too!

YES! The neighborhood kids! We would play for hours but ours now talk on cells, XBOX live, and online...That's the saddest one of all!

Quoting Reina13:

I loved going to the drive in movie....my kids have never been and with them being far and few, I doubt they will ever have the experience.

I used to love to ride in the back of my grandfathers pickup truck in the summer....I have to admit, I cringe at the thought of allowing my kids to do the same thing.

I used to use pencil on my cassette tapes to tighten them up when they would come loose...if I handed them a pencil and a cassette tape now, they would have a lost look in their eyes.

I would play outside from after breakfast until dinner time, with a brief stop in the house for lunch. I cannot tell you the adventures I went on with just other neighborhood kids. Now...I cannot imagine my kids playing outside my line of sight or range of vision...sigh

They will never understand that our road trips consisted of singing and playing the license plate game with your siblings and parents because they have their iPads and portal movie players on road trips now.

Sammi20
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Rugrats, Hey arnold, lizzie mcguire (sp?) I love the 90's cartoons! But they don't play them anymore. Game boy, nintendo 64! Playing on Really cool structures / climbing on random things because now adays its "Too Dangerous" v.v

TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 7:32 PM

OMGosh Lynn, GO!  Its something every kid should do...He has a really good choice of movies there too...

I dont care who you are...when anyone goes to his office, he has to tell you what's running and what new food he added to the menu! And he asks every kid if they've gone to the drive in yet this year!LOL!

Quoting ceciliam:

I really want to take Brayden to that drive-in this year. I say every Summer we are going to go.....

Quoting TheJerseyGirl:

Our pediatrician has the ONLY drive in in NJ...only som many exist thru out the US today. Isnt it sad? But we have taken ours to the drive in and they are NOT impressed. How could they be with the big screen in the air conditioned movie theater??

And I did the pencil thing with the cassettes too!

YES! The neighborhood kids! We would play for hours but ours now talk on cells, XBOX live, and online...That's the saddest one of all!

Quoting Reina13:

I loved going to the drive in movie....my kids have never been and with them being far and few, I doubt they will ever have the experience.

I used to love to ride in the back of my grandfathers pickup truck in the summer....I have to admit, I cringe at the thought of allowing my kids to do the same thing.

I used to use pencil on my cassette tapes to tighten them up when they would come loose...if I handed them a pencil and a cassette tape now, they would have a lost look in their eyes.

I would play outside from after breakfast until dinner time, with a brief stop in the house for lunch. I cannot tell you the adventures I went on with just other neighborhood kids. Now...I cannot imagine my kids playing outside my line of sight or range of vision...sigh

They will never understand that our road trips consisted of singing and playing the license plate game with your siblings and parents because they have their iPads and portal movie players on road trips now.

Myspace Comments       autism bright colors heart picture and wallpaper

carynleigh
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Things that have changed since I was 5 like my son:

TV:

*Cartoons were on Saturday mornings. Unless you were lucky enough that there was one show on after school. 

*Not all kids had TVs in their houses, let alone in their bedrooms.

*Cable was a luxury that wasn't even available everywhere. 

*People still had black and white TVs in their houses

*High tech video games were on teh NES

Phone:

*The phone line was still a party line for a little bit of my life.

*Rotary phones, and even if you had a push-button phone you could still hear the pulse until they switched us to touch tone.

*Where I grew up we could do 5 digit dialing for a time (***-**1-2345)

The internet was nonexistant in our area until the mid to late 90's, and even then it was a toll call so you got charged for the phone call.

We rode in the back of pickups, without seat belts in cars, and without helmets on bikes.  Not that we should do that....

I still have some mix tapes.

Every Friday night my friends and I went rollerskating. It was where all of cool rejects hung out cause there was nothing else to do.

I'm sure that there are a lot of others, but I think I've made this too long already.

carynleigh
by Member on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)