Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you encourage your daughters dreams?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM
  • 10 Replies

How do you encourage your daughters dreams?

I have older daughters that are college age.  My oldest daughter will graduate in December with a Marine Biology/Oceanology Degree.   We are now talking about what she will do when she graduates.  She is looking into moving to Alaska.   Along way from PA. 

My other daughter is going to be a sophmore in college this fall.  She is a Political Science/International Studies major.  She is applying for an intership at the State Deptartment.  She is looking to work as a Foreign Service Officier once she graduates.

With both my sons in the Army and not living near home.  It is sometimes very hard to encourage all my children to seek careers that are far from home. 

How do you encourage your daughters/children to seek there goals when your heart says NO?

july 4th

by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 7:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

My son will also be a Political Science Major...good for her!

My daughter wants to be a State Trooper...while it's not what I would want for her, I encourage her so much. I'm so proud of her strong will, her determination and how high she sets her goals. I tell her it's all possible as long as she works as hard to make her dreams come true.

ceciliam
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Oooohhh, that's a tough one for me to answer because I'm no where near that point, yet.

RainyRain
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Quoting ceciliam:

Oooohhh, that's a tough one for me to answer because I'm no where near that point, yet.

jerzeetomato
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I get exactly what you mean.  My oldest is just entering college, and will major in cyber network management/internet security, with the hope of working for the Federal Government or in State Law Enforcement.  Right now my youngest, entering high school, wants to play college soccer and either wants to then play on the US WNT or be a veterinarian or a Sports Physical Therapist.

Being a good parent means enouraging them to find their wings and letting them fly.  I want them to be happy and fulfilled, and if that means they have careers that take them far from home, then I will be happy for them - and miss them like hell.

I am so proud right now that they both have goals and direction, it would be hard NOT to encourage them.

NADIA-R
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Well mine are not yet there but my 17 YO DD is already talking about moving away when she graduates and even though it breaks my heart I say to myself this is her life and she needs to fly sooner or later my job is to make sure she is ready to fly solo; and let her know I will always be here for anything she needs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2012 at 9:30 PM

edited just a bit but the basics are here. 

This! 

Quoting jerzeetomato:

I get exactly what you mean.  My oldest is just getting ready to enter college.

Being a good parent means enouraging them to find their wings and letting them fly.  I want them to be happy and fulfilled, and if that means they have careers that take them far from home, then I will be happy for them - and miss them like hell.

I am so proud right now that they all have goals and direction, it would be hard NOT to encourage them.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM

My oldest daughter will be going into her third year of college soon and every job she wants will be far from home.  It's hard to think that if she does get a job like that she'll be young and far away on her own.  I just try to be positive and tell her she has to do what is best for her life.  We're very close so if she is far from home I know we'll still stay in touch.

Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Jul. 2, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Same here

Quoting ceciliam:

crazymomof4787
by on Jul. 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I am very close to both my daughters.  My oldest daughter will be 21 in September and graduate from college in
 December.  Can't believe she did a double major in less then 4 yrs.  I am so proud of her. 

Quoting 4kidz916:

My oldest daughter will be going into her third year of college soon and every job she wants will be far from home.  It's hard to think that if she does get a job like that she'll be young and far away on her own.  I just try to be positive and tell her she has to do what is best for her life.  We're very close so if she is far from home I know we'll still stay in touch.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM

So far I haven't had to do this. I imagine it will be very hard. But I know it is so important for each of us to get to take our own path and find our own happiness. And it will only hurt our relationship if I try to force my kids to follow the path I choose for them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)