Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Read or Not to Read (my DD text messages)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should Moms read their daughter's text messages?

Options:

Absolutely

No Way

Depends on age

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 474

View Results

Wanting to hear from other Mamas out there....do you ever read or "check" your daughter's texts or Instagram posts/pix or Kiks or whatever they are using?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
psych_mom
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes, I would definitely check my child's text and any other messages as often as I want. They live in my house so it is my rules. It is not just what they are sending that I would be worried about, but more of what they could possibly be receiving. Plus, tweens and teens don't always make the best decisions even with the best guidance given by parents. I would rather catch something early before something stupid happens or gets out hand rather than after they give me a reason not to trust them.

abigailesmommy
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think you should, but I think you should be able to. My hubby and I have free access to each other's email, text messages, and facebook accounts... we don't use them because there is trust, but being able to creates accountability. 

BloodyAngel7476
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

i never read my daughters text from the time she got her at the age 12 because she walked home from school. to now she is 18 i don't read them sometimes she shows me them but that is up to her i trust her 100% and even if i did not trust her that is her phone not mine.

ddemarco
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

If she is out of the house, no I'm not going to read her messages.  But while she is living with me (under the age of 18) yes.  And I will read DS' when he gets there.  If I suspect anything or am just curious lol

LivinBlessed
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:20 AM
My ds is 11 and received a phone for his bday. I haven't felt a need to check his activity on it yet, but if I do I will:) Our computer is in a common area and I will check his usage on that as well if I feel a need to. There is too much trouble just waiting for someone out there, it's my job to keep him safe and that's what I do!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Holztastic
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I wouldn't unless I felt it was absolutely necessary to violate my child's privacy that way (if I thought they were on drugs, suicidal, engaging in other dangerous or illegal behaviors, etc). Not just to "make sure" of anything.

CandyWolf
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I do and as long as she will willingly hand the phone over to me when I ask I know she has nothing to hide. And I will ask at random times for her to hand it over.

2teens2LOs
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

yes, I spot check them on random occassions- he is 17 now, but at 14 I was reading and found out he had snuck out the previous night! so yes- it is well known in my house that me and my DH will spot check you at ANY given time!

this prevents any "obscene" matter being transmitted- lol if you know what I mean-

and on occassion, I answer a text from his GF, with this is mommy reading what you wrote LOL so it puts her into perspective, which I highly doubt any of that crap goes on anyhow- but just so SHE the GF knows- that yep, mom and dad may be seeing what you are typing/sending ;)

I dont think it crosses lines, my sister does it as well - her oldest is 20 and she has a 16 and 13 yr old- she checks them ALL! spot checks- when they least expect its coming

if they are in your home, under 18, then they are still KIDS and you are the parent- it is your job to protect them and this day and time, its not only a computer where trouble can be!!!!

blg5484
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM

DD is only 2 but i will check on her i will give her space but im gonna keep and eye on things

Pink.Frosting
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:38 AM
I put that it depends on age. Because my daughter is 15 and I do read her texts sometimes but if she were like 19 or 20 then I would not.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)