Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Read or Not to Read (my DD text messages)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should Moms read their daughter's text messages?

Options:

Absolutely

No Way

Depends on age

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 474

View Results

Wanting to hear from other Mamas out there....do you ever read or "check" your daughter's texts or Instagram posts/pix or Kiks or whatever they are using?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Replies (21-30):
Scarlette12
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:46 AM

My parents never went through my text expect my dad did one time when he getting my phone from school that's because the teacher at my school took my phone away after it almost fell out of my pocket during eco practice exam... She claims I was  texting but I was not, it slip out of jacket pocket while I was trying to take my jacket off. When I explain to her what happen, she was being a mean teacher like she is.. No students liked her at all, she was a creepy cat lady.... He got home with my phone, he try to take my phone away but couldn't because I bought the phone and I do pay the bills, my mom said she pays for it we can't take something away she bought with her money lol..

anyways, he looked through it and  found nothing @@... Anyways, I will not look through my child's phone unless I felt she is hiding something from me... Other than that I leave my trust with her that she will not do anything wrong..

kjbennett26
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I sure will once we get there...my child, my phone, my money....sorry my rules and my right

VarelaClan
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM
My daughter is 12. We've checked her phone a few times. I found texts to a boy from her friend that weren't too good (supposedly they were song lyrics). It was her friend sending them ( and yes it was her friend because 1. She said hey this is jazmyn & 2. It was done while jazmyn was over here). It gave us the perfect opportunity to talk about how she needs to be more aware of what is going on around her (and on her phone) and how what gets out on her phone can cause my husband and I to get I to trouble because then phone is in our names. It doesn't matter WHO did it....it's OUR phone. So, yes, I think it's ok to look on your kids phones. They are in our care, we have to keep them safe and teach them right from wrong, which includes proper cell phone use.
RavenDravenF
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM
It is all on how you swant to look at it

CafeMom Tickers

dallas4nu
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. You pay for it. It's your phone. If she gives you a reason to doubt her, absolutely. But if its just to be nosy and she's generally a good kid, then no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

If I gave her the cell phone, then absolutely when I felt it was necessary. And if she pays for it in her own right, I wouldn't be above it if I thought there was a major problem going on. 

I would, however, ask her for her phone and explain why I am looking through it. I wouldn't sneak around and read it when she wasn't aware. I don't like dishonesty in either direction.

kirstina
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

You dont need to read all of them but I would look at them for a young teen. After 15-16 I would not because they do need some privacy but I would be looking at who she is texting and looking at any pics that are on her phone.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

My daughter is 2 1/2, so it hasn't come up yet, but you better believe I will be keeping tabs on her online stuff.  Text messages I will probably at least watch the bill in the beginning, because I see texting as similar to a phone conversation, and I wouldn't listen in without a specific reason, so I wouldn't read the texts without a specific reason, but I'll make sure I know who the numbers are that are showing up all the time on the bill.

mrsdic
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Yes, and I wish there was a "depends on circumstances" option in the poll.  I would spot check occasionally, but if I had a feeling something was up, I'd dig & have no guilt about it. 

mommyakabooby
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I don't at the moment. But if something were to happen that made me suspicious, I'd be reading her texts in a heartbeat! She is 17.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)