Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To Read or Not to Read (my DD text messages)

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Should Moms read their daughter's text messages?

Options:

Absolutely

No Way

Depends on age

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 474

View Results

Wanting to hear from other Mamas out there....do you ever read or "check" your daughter's texts or Instagram posts/pix or Kiks or whatever they are using?

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:01 AM
Replies (41-50):
OliviasMommy17
by Melissa on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I dont have to worry about that yet. My daughter is only 4 years old.

But my niece, she is 12, has a phone. She came to stay with us for a little while and her mom (my sister) told me that she had been acting funny and she wouldn't let her (my sister) hold her (my niece) phone. So she asked me if I could get her to open up. Well my niece let me look through her phone and I am glad she let me. Some guy was trying to get her to send pictures, her full name, address and birthday. We passed it on to a friend in Law Enforcement and it turns out the guy was a sex offender. Oh yeah the guy just sent random numbers texts. My niece now does not text a number that is not in her phone.

So with that now in the back of my mind yeah I would. You never know who is texting or on the internet.

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I read my brothers texts. Hes not even my kid, so I'm sure ill check my DDs when it comes to that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.heart.nerds
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Yes. My sister is under my care and I have the discretion to randomly check her texts, pictures, tweets and fb. If anything has been deleted she loses her phone for a month. I have yet to find anything bad on her phone other than one pic on instagram of her in a bikini that I had her take down.
wendythewriter
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

My kids are 11 & 8 and do not have cell phones yet. But if they did, it would be with the understanding that I could check and read their texts any time I choose, particularly since I am paying the bill. I would respect their privacy and not just read them every day just because I can, but there would be the occasional random check just so they know that I really will read them. Now if I thought they were truly up to something, then I'd check regularly.

allthatjazz251
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I don't have to worry about that for a long time (DD will not be getting any phone or related device until 16 or so) BUT if she is under my roof and I pay the bills, heck yes, I would check it if I have to. lol

Shermoody4
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:50 PM

I found accidentally that my 12 year old had been putting her feelings on instagram,  as far as, how she felt about a boy.  I feel she is kind of young for that anyway, but she wrote this page like a heartbroken 30 year old.  I put an end to this by speaking with her, because now all the kids at school know this, and I thought this would be embarrassing.  She never thought of it that way until I said something.  So do I read what she has on her ipod???  Absolutely,  I told her it should be no problem unless she feels she has something to hide, and I shouldn't be the one to hide that from if she feels so strongly. I need to know that kind of thing as her mom....

helema24
by Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

it is better to check up on her activities texts n other media shes into and find nothing wrong than to find out too late shes been caught into something that might hurt her very badly!

HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Agree.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

I put that it depends on age. Because my daughter is 15 and I do read her texts sometimes but if she were like 19 or 20 then I would not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HamBergerMama
by Stacy on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:04 PM
My kids are far too young for phones, but when they are responsible enough to have a phone and still in high school I think I will probably check occasionally. But I will tell them that's the condition of the phone, no sneaking to do it. A journal is totally dif because in a tech savvy world it's for their safety as well.

Once out of school or a certain maturity,nope I'll be hands off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mummamaur
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 2:13 PM
I will when she has one dd is only 2 as long as i pay for it i can look, its my phone. i want to make sure she stays on the right track. my parents didnt do it to me and i know what i got into. id like to stop it before it gets out of control with dd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)