Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever feel a need to be beautiful?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi ladies,

As a young girl, did you ever feel pressure to be beautiful? Do you still feel the same now that you are an adult?

mirror

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heather4511
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM
As a young girl no, because i never liked attention that way. It scared me. Now days I don't need to be beautiful. I'm always called "cute" anyways.which bothers me because then I feel like a 10 year old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I got made fun of all the time for the way I looked. The way I dressed, the way my hair was. I had no clue and my Mom never helped me look better. I had a boyfriend in 6th grade who started treating me like crap one day because my outfit was so bad looking. It sucked.

I am really overweight now. That pretty much rules the way I think of myself so yes, I feel pressure to be beautiful.

I have 2 little girls. I always take the time to dress them in outfits that match and fit right. I do their hair, well one of them, the little one is still a bald baby. I want to teach my girls to take care of themselves and look their best all the time. Even if that usually means t-shirt and jeans. I want to teach them my best how to look nice and present their best everyday.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I can remember wonder if people that I was as beautiful as others.  I also had some confidence, so I knew and know I am, but just wondering how others thought I looked.  Now I kind of don't care.

adoleece
by New Member on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM

growing up was crazy for me cause i was a tomboy with a over developed figure. I did not wear make up, i was a jeans and tee shirt girl. No luck covering up though which was hard.

TurboMom81
by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 10:42 PM
I absolutely feel pressured but only for myself. I think I have to be beautiful! Which is funny because I could care less about what others think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 11:11 AM

In my teen years I did feel a need to be beautiful.  Now that I'm older I'm still insecure about my looks but I don't feel the "need" to be beautiful anymore. 

funhappymom
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM

As a young girl-elementary school young, I didn't even notice the difference in beauty. When I entered junior high and later high school I started to feel the pressure to be beautiful.

Now that I am an adult and am married with kids, I no longer feel the need to be beautiful. There are times like date night or other special occasions when I take more time to get ready and actually put make up on.

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 9:41 AM

As a young girl and through high school there were times when I felt less that pretty, but I tried to make the most of what I had with makeup, hair styles and clothes. As an adult-not so much. I realized that as long as you're well groomed, most people look at more than just what a person looks like. Knowing that gives me confidence that was lacking when I was younger.

Remembering what it felt like to be a young girl should help us moms with daughters.

Roo1234
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I can honestly say no. I accept that I'm average in appearance, but how I regard myself has never been based on what I see in the mirror.  I just doesn't matter to me. 

Of course I keep myself clean, neat, laundered.  Sometimes I wear make-up and/or "do" my hair beyond brushing it, but it isn't the end of the world if I don't either.  The other side of this is that no one expects me to either.  I look like "m"e all the time.

Interestingly, I reconnected with a few people from my high school years because they saw an article about me.  One of them sent me an email and commented that they had always admired my "sense of style" (which at the time was thrift store chic) back in our school days.

kirbymom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh wow. Yes I did feel the pressure of being beautiful at all times.  Then I got married to the most wonderful man on the planet. He showed me that I was beautiful in ways I never would have thought beauty could be seen from.  Now, I know that I only need to feel beautiful when I want to feel beautiful, not because I have to.  And I try to communicate that thinking to my daughters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN