Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever feel a need to be beautiful?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies,

As a young girl, did you ever feel pressure to be beautiful? Do you still feel the same now that you are an adult?

mirror

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
SlightlyPerfect
When you find "The Interview" online...
Yesterday at 9:25 PM
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM

When we're teens, I think we tend to internalize media-hyped-up images of beauty. Our world at that age is so limited, any stimuli coming in will likely be processed and taken personally.

But I distinctly remember the time I stopped internalizing that. I was 19. And I said to myself, "The only opinions that matter are of those who think." And I found that once I understood that on both cerebral and visceral levels and could pinpoint that specific kind of opinion (whether it just came to me or I had to go seek it out), that "need" to be beautiful just disappeared. 

slightlyperfect

DesireMM
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

In high school I felt I needed to be beautiful because I spent middle school being picked on for my weight. So I ended up becoming anorexic. Now that I am 30 and finally over that, my husband made the comment to me that before I can wear a slip under my skirt, I will need to lose weight because it is too tight. I bought a large. :( So now I am feeling the need to be beautiful again.

gacgbaker
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I did feel a lot of pressure and like I wasn't good enough, but that's because I was measuring up to the wrong standards.  I don't feel the same way at all.  

amonkeymom
by Amy on Jul. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I sure did and yes, I still do.  Sadly, it's mostly self-pressure.

mxcanapochamama
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

As a kid I was teased because I was overweight and kind of nerdy. As a teen I lost weight and wouldn't leave the house without makeup. Now I kind of do feel pressured to be beautiful, mostly because Im a young mom age22 , but also because I have two daughters and I feel like I have to set an example. I dont wear makeup every day but I get my hair done try to make even jeans and a shirt look good. Im overweight again but working on going back down. 

LancesMom
by Member on Jul. 12, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Ahahahahaha. God NO!

When I was younger I had to have makeup on and a nice outfit before I left the house. Even if it was for a trip to the store!

Now I could care less! I only dress up if I am going to something special. Its jeans and a shirt everywear now! No makeup unless needed.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM

as a young girl and some of high school i did... I was a tom boy... 

babyboxfish
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I never felt that pressure as a kid, but now as an adult I definitely (unfortunately) do.  I can't leave the house without eyeliner on.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I really wanted to be smaller when I was young.  I was always taller than all the other girls . . . and I thought smaller = beautiful.

I didn't feel any pressure, though, just longing!

I don't feel pressure now that I'm older.  I think that's one of the blessings of getting older.

MarGeee
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:54 AM

I always wanted to be beautiful,pretty,cute. I remember one particular day when I was little about 8 yrs old my mom was in one of her aweful abusive moods,and stood me in front of the television and pointed to a really beautiful girl and asked me why I couldn't look like her and any other pretty girl. It hurt me deeply and the scar will never go away because of her opinion of me. I was barked at as a child,and bullied relentlessy. Naturally I have always felt ugly,the confidence I have is lacking big time. I've always admired beautiful women,and wondered why god cursed me with,red hair, crooked teeth,pale freckly skin,and minimal cheekbones. I don't have luscious curves,I have a tomboy figure,or "athletic figure".  My mom said I was suppose to be a boy,when she saw I wasn't she was hugely disappointed,she named me Marjorie,after her mom. I got called margarine,butter,parkay.and marge the barge at large fat master sarge,even though I wasn't big at all.. I just pray that no daugher will ever have a mom make her feel like she's worthless,I pray that she is built up,the way I build up my daughters confidence. My daughter is BEAUTIFUL,smart,and artistic,outgoing,and everything in the universe I never got to be as a young girl. Any mom who puts her girls down has a serious issue with herself,and needs help. I have four kids and even though my mom apologizes,its still there the hurt and the pain,and wishing I was someone else will always be part of me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN