Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever feel a need to be beautiful?

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi ladies,

As a young girl, did you ever feel pressure to be beautiful? Do you still feel the same now that you are an adult?

mirror

by on Jul. 10, 2012 at 11:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
itsblissmas
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Thank God this is something I learned at a young age. NO, I did not ever feel pressure to "be beautiful". I was told by some kids in school that I was ugly and by others outside of school that I was pretty. It was confusing to me but what was clear is that looks and beauty are all a MATTER of OPINION.

Cracks me up though, because as an adult I had a couple I was friends with who wanted me to get a makeover. They made it clear over and over and over again that they thought I was beautiful but they wanted me to "enhance what I have" so they paid for a "girls day out for me, the wife and her sister-in-law. I got the makeup and hair done and they bought me new clothes. A couple weeks later I was at the store and saw the wife. She told me how pretty I looked with makeup on and I wanted to laugh so hard because I didn't have any on. It still amuses the daylights out of me! But anyway, I do not feel that "beautiful" pressure but sometimes I put make up on just for something different and/or just for fun.

KymberleeAnn
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

As a girl I realized at a very young age the effect I had on humans of the opposite sex. I was always an attractive person and had a magnetic appeal.

Even now as a woman I command attention when I walk in the room men start to look with admiration and I'm always told hold fine and sexy I am so I have been full of self confidence and always had a high esteem of myself. 

So I never ever felt the pressure to be beautiful I felt the pressure of being beautiful. I hope I'm not coming off sounding stuck up, I'm just stating what I experience in my day to day life.

When you are an attractive person and carry yourself with respect and dignity you feel pressure from men because they want to get closer to you. You Get pressure from women because some can't be you, and you have some women who want to be in a relationship with you as well. LOL....

So it's not easy being beautiful.

Dayna29
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:34 AM

In my teen years, I did feel like I had to be beautiful, but it wasn't happening. I was over weight and got made fun of. So for many years I wouldn't leave the house with out putting on some kind of make up. Even when I started to loose my weight, I still wore the make up. None of my friends would see me with no make up on unless they came to my house early. Now I have been going out in public with no make up. I do feel like I need to dress nice still. I get a lot of stares from men and it makes me wonder what they are thinking. I try my best to look good for DF all the time but he wants me to be natural and dress down a bit. I still have that insecurity a bit I guess. But it will take time. DF just knows that I won't ever lets my looks go to Hell. lol

trekkiechic
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:36 AM

as a girl it never really bothered me, but now it does.

RyleeJaynesMom
by on Jul. 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM
Yes I am a people pleaser, I want people to like me, I like to fit in and I like the attention. I am so vain and I hate it!! I try not to be.
Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Nope, never. At least not other people's idea of beautiful. I never was into the make up, hair fixing, pretty clothes, must look good for everyone thing. Still don't.

westtxmomtobe
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Well isn't that a loaded question :P As a very young girl I could care less, loved to wear my princess dresses and then go climb trees with the neighbor boys! Drove my mother nuts! As I got older, I noticed I was heavier than a lot of other girls and so beauty became an obsession. I wouldn't leave the house with out hair, nails, make up, all done up, clothing matching and doing my best to work with what I was given. Sadly, the more obsessed I became with not being "beautiful" the heavier I got...to the point of packing 295 lbs onto a 5'3" frame. Now I've dropped 145 lbs, haven't put make up on in something like idk years, actually yesterday went to the market in baggy basketball shorts that tbh belong to my DF and an old "fitted" t shirt that I probably wore at like 220 lbs. and a pony tail. LMAO how things chage. And seriously tbh, the weight loss, the no make up thing, I owe to my DF. He's told me a million times how captivating I am without the need for any of that crap! And he's totally right being that yesterday, at the store, I was getting hit on by some older man (maybe late 30's early 40's)  :P Haha. I would have given my right leg for that kind of response in high school being so obsessed with beauty and now that I really don't care what "they" think beauty is, just happy to be happy in my skin and I get that kind of response. Lesson? Who cares what others think. Love yourself and THAT is what makes people become attracted to you and commands attention!

KaylaMillar
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM
As a young girl I Definately did!y mom would always call me fat ( I knew I wasnt. I was only 110 lbs) ad it crushed me! As an adult I feel like I owe it to my DH to be beautiful
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
godsgirl26
Happy thanksgiving :)
Yesterday at 10:44 AM
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM

No, i was always told i was beautful so no pressure there. Yes i still feel the same because everyone is always saying  i look the same as i did when i was a lil girl.

TurboMom81
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I did some more pondering on my original reply. I'm not completely changing my response. I love to feel beautiful! I had a Cinderella experience this past weekend where everyone kept telling how gorgeous I looked! And I ate it up! I loved it! My husband could not keep his eyes off of me!

When we got back to the hotel and I took off the fancy dress and shoes I had come to a realization.  I still felt beautiful!  Beauty is so much more important than what is on the outside. I know that I am kind, caring person with a servant's heart.  THAT is what I want to teach to my children.  

Quoting TurboMom81:

I absolutely feel pressured but only for myself. I think I have to be beautiful! Which is funny because I could care less about what others think.

wedding ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN