Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fears

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM
  • 13 Replies

How do you keep from passing on your fears to your daughter/children? Do you even try?

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I am scared to death of heights and depths (like drowning, per se) but I try not to let those fears known around my daughters because I want them to make their own decisions. If they are scared of something, ok, but *I* don't want to be the reason that they are scared of it. Make sense? 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

I'm very afraid of large dogs, but I don't want her to be. I've learned to not let my fear show when we encounter a large dog on our walks. We have friends who have a very lovable large dog, and they normally put the dog in the garage when I'm there, as a courtesy to me, but I ask them to allow the dog out for a few minutes so she can see the dog. DH runs interference so he doesn't get too close to me. Now that she's older, I can explain to her that I was bitten by a dog-which appeared very large to me as a young child. She has no fear, and I'm glad that she doesn't.

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I guess I don't know how to do it.

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

It is hard. There is a fine line. Children are so intuitive and they pick up on feelings and such so well that it is hard. It definitely has to be a very conscious decision and commitment.

Quoting AzariahsMother:

I guess I don't know how to do it.

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

TurboMom81
It's hard to beat an enemy living inside your own head.
Today at 10:55 AM
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I am terrified of Thunderstorms and so far it has not had an impact on them. In fact my 6 year old kind of laughs at me. LOL

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:46 PM

haha That reminds me of my mom. *Let me preface, I LOOOOVE Thunderstorms! The louder and the harder the thunder, the better I sleep and the more I love it* My mom, however, doesn't really care for them and my brothers and I used to give her a hard time about it growing up. haha

Quoting TurboMom81:

I am terrified of Thunderstorms and so far it has not had an impact on them. In fact my 6 year old kind of laughs at me. LOL

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I try to keep my fears to myself and just let my DD form an opinion for herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I keep them to my self...

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

The only thing they've seen me fear is bugs and sadly I think I've passed that on to my oldest . 

SlightlyPerfect
I am so spoiled.
Today at 10:46 AM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

I don't think I have any fears like that.

slightlyperfect

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)