Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pagents

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
  • 17 Replies

Helpful and fun? Or harmful?

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I think it depends.  I think if child is enjoying and parent is not forcing then fun.  If child doesn't want to do it, and not having fun that harmful.

PinkParadox
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Quoting AzariahsMother:

I think it depends.  I think if child is enjoying and parent is not forcing then fun.  If child doesn't want to do it, and not having fun that harmful.

This.  Although, I generally disapprove of ones where girls under a certain age wear makeup.  

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM

I agree with you both. What are your takes on flippers (the false teeth, per se, that make them look perfect and perfectly white)?

Quoting PinkParadox:

Quoting AzariahsMother:

This.  Although, I generally disapprove of ones where girls under a certain age wear makeup.  

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

TurboMom81
I love baking cookies!!!
Today at 2:17 AM
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 8:50 PM

if the pageant requires, fake tans, fake teeth, and enough makeup to make them look like a minature adult, it is disturbing.  I don't understand how a mother can put her child through that.  It only teaches value on physical beauty.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I think some of the pagent moms take them too far and they become harmful. 

heather4511
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Idk..a lot of the kids I've seen like on TLC are snotty undisciplined "divas". And a lot of them are highly concerned with looks which sends the wrong message.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 14, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I really dont care for them myself... I  think its way to much.. (fake stuff)......

Dayna29
by Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:47 AM

I had my daughter in National American Miss for 2 years. They were all about poise. 12 and under were not allowed to wear make up at all. Not even lip gloss. They would take away points from them if it could be seen. No tanning, or costumes, or anything that would really doll them up. We did the hair though. Nothing fake. AND NO SWIM SUITS! I loved that part. I was always told my daughters were beautiful since they were born. So one day I got a thing in the mail and sent off her picture just out of curiosity. She was accepted for the state finalist. The pagent thing is really on the go all the time. We just did the least amount. There were other things that parents listed them in for extras. More money and less time to get them where they need to be later. I was exhausted. The dress had to be a certain way also. No hoops and they had to fit to the tee for certain lengths and it couldn't be a dress that was too old for them. I enjoyed that particular pageant. It just cost too much as we were having to do more activities with it. I noticed she wasn't willing to learn how to do the walks or the stuff I was teaching her. So that was the last year. She didn't was to practice so that was it also. I wasn't going to make her do something she didn't want to do. The only rule I have for the kids is if we start it for the year, we finish it. After that, they can quit. She still wanted to do it. I think she liked being on the stage and looking pretty and showing off, but not wanting to do the work to learn how to walk the walk and stand a certain way. It was work. I did see a mom yell at her daughter because she didn't want to do it and the poor thing was in tears. I was angry about that. You just don't yell at them if they were stage fright. Don't forcefully make them like that. She could have talked to her and help her through it. But now my daughter is into sports. She loves her soccer. I think it did help her with confidence.

trekkiechic
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 4:54 AM

harmful. My 2 year old doesn't need to be parading around with make up caked on thinking she has to be prettier then the rest of the girls in order to get some kind of award. no thank you

Ultra_
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 5:03 AM

I think it can be positive if they WANT to, losing is OK, and very young kids don't wear makeup or have fake hair, spray tanned or are saran wrapped to appear thinner and act sexual in any way. My kids did pageants and they loved it and they were good. They always won a few awards if not the big one. I only put them in ones where they didn't have all the stuff I mentioned. We stopped since they entered school and we're too busy now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN