Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Awesome Gift Ideas To Inspire Strong Girls

Posted by   + Show Post

For Christmas this past year, my mom gave me this homemade book of quotes, funny sayings, quips and inspirations. It is little, just the size of a little photo book, but it is enormous in what it meant to me. I have it here on my desk and flip through it often. It reminds me just how much she believes in me and how I should remember to believe in myself.

Now, I am 40 years old...can you imagine what a gift, a confidence-boosting present can do for someone younger? Right! It could be really great. Ways to build up strong girls and give them confidence, boost that esteem can come in all shapes and sizes, just like girls do.

It's hard to really say what size time and listening are (ginormous?), tough to tell the shape of guidance (rhombus?), so how about some confidence-boosting tangible items to go along with those intangible ways we help our girls? It could be an out-of-the-blue token to surprise her or a birthday present she knows is coming - no matter when you give it to her, there are some amazing gifts to help your daughter boost her self-esteem when you aren't around.

Heavy words lighten the soul - I love these paperweights from Uncommon Goods. My little girl has a shelf of just things: shells she's collected, rocks, little snow globes. These paperweights would be that perfect addition until she can really use it to keep papers in check. With quotes that make her think and remind her what strength really is and to believe in herself, she can glance its way before heading out the door and feel confident.

Wear it proudly - Etsy is my go-to place for unique gifts, and it doesn't disappoint when looking for a cool present to inspire a daughter.  This bracelet has a hidden message only she will know is there (Believe in you), and there are plenty of pendants to choose from that keep her confidence at a high - this one quotes Shakespeare, and this simple silver pendant has one word: strength (but there are other too).

Write it down - Though our girls may turn to blogs or online ways of documenting their thoughts, just maybe they will keep it old school and use a pen and paper. Give her a journal to encourage her to do it. With "Shoot for the moon, even if you miss, you will land among the stars" to keep her focused on living her dream and believing in herself, this journal is ideal for building good esteem.

Mark it - Anyone else a bookworm? I am...and I love bookmarks. If your girl is into reading, give her a cool bit of boost in the confidence arena with one of these bookmarks. Quotes from Confucius or Eleanor Roosevelt are two options, but there are plenty out there to match your girl's interests.

Do it - Has she been interested in something like soccer or filmmaking or photography? Give her a weekend of one-on-one coaching or a special class at the local community college. Yes, perhaps this costs more than a necklace, but it shows her you believe in her talents and what she is beyond what she looks like. Say she loves marine biology? Make a call to the local college and see if anyone can hook her up with an afternoon chat with one. Many professionals (especially those female professors and scientists) will love to mentor and support young girls.

What gift were you given growning up that made you believe in yourself? Tell us what else should be on this list that you want to give your daughters to boost their confidence!

©iStockphoto.com/caziopeia

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
dusky_rose
by Sue on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:38 AM

When I was growing up (with my 5 brothers), I was given the gift of experience. I used to go on hikes with my dad and brothers. When you go on a twenty mile hike, you learn about pushing yourself even when you are tired just to get there or back to the car. Plus I learned about fishing and sleeping under the stars and what to do if it snows on you in the middle of the night (we slept under a tarp). I think it helped me become a stronger person when I used to rough it with my dad and brothers.

aneela
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:41 AM
it's great when parents encourage their kids...great ideas
mallowcup17
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

i love inspiring books about strong women and both of my girls are bookworms so that would be an awesome gift!

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 11:59 AM

yes, I still see them in our malls

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

I like the bracelet idea. I wonder if "Things Remembered" is around anymore. Anyone remember them? They had mall kiosks everywhere in the late 90's, early 2000's.

Can't get into that paperweight, but I do like the idea.(IDK if paper will even be around when my 3-year-old daughter is in school!)

I hope my daughter journals.

I'd add, too, that I was a part of the CafeMom influencer for Hallmark. I got the Bug 'Ems. They were super cute.

For anything I want to get personalized, like those paperweights or any bumper stickers, I use Zazzle.

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I love those ideas.  

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM

always take your time with your children you will not get that day back.

I like to get her jewlery . To remember me by and keep me close.

slw123
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Great ideas!  I wish I had something to share, but I don't.

Kiwismommy19
by Wendy on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thanks for sharing.

amy7243
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Great ideas.
Bob192
by Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Great list!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)