Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everyone's a winner!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM
  • 16 Replies
2 moms liked this
How do you feel about that mentality? When I was growing up, not everyone "won", we had "losers", not everyone made the team, not everyone got a trophy, etc. but these days it seems that everyone wins. Everyone makes the team. Everyone gets a trophy. And if not than parents make a stink until it happens. Personally, I don't feel that helps kids at all. It gives them unrealistic expectations and there is not drive to do better and be the best instilled into them. But those are my feelings. I hope that my girls don't ever accept an award or reward for something that they did not do or deserve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I don't think it is right, I think they need to allow winning and losing because that is the way life it. Focus on trying their best, working hard, and improving their skills

TurboMom81
Love seeing all my hard work and efforts come to fruition.
Yesterday at 10:09 AM
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:06 AM

It's harmful! Half the children out there feel entitled to things now! It does not prepare them for the real world!

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I agree with both of you. One of my husband's former students after he got to a ship (Navy) did something (I don't know what) and got reprimanded for it (nothing really bad, he didn't get kicked out or anything, just reprimanded) and didn't know how to handle the rejection since he was used to always being the best and such and he killed himself. It kind of messed my husband up because it was a student that was directly his and he said this kid was bright and very intelligent, yet he couldn't handle not being the best. So sad. 

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I agree with  all you

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:21 AM

awe, that is  so sad... :O(

sorry to hear that... prayers to his family....

Quoting Harris06:

I agree with both of you. One of my husband's former students after he got to a ship (Navy) did something (I don't know what) and got reprimanded for it (nothing really bad, he didn't get kicked out or anything, just reprimanded) and didn't know how to handle the rejection since he was used to always being the best and such and he killed himself. It kind of messed my husband up because it was a student that was directly his and he said this kid was bright and very intelligent, yet he couldn't handle not being the best. So sad. 

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 16, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I know. And all because he had never "failed" before. smh

Quoting kurtkamkaitsmom:

awe, that is  so sad... :O(

sorry to hear that... prayers to his family....

Quoting Harris06:

Proud Navy Wife since 1/10/06; toddler girl Mother to McKenna since 12/11/08,  toddler girl McKaela since 5/27/10 & baby girl Maisie since 8/15/11.

Due in September? Join us in September 2011 Babies!

SlightlyPerfect
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Ugh

That's all I got.

slightlyperfect

Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally agree with you. I think there is too much entitlement in our society. Too many people think they should just have everything handed to them. And when they don't get what they want, they throw a fit like a 2 year old. 

My Husband and I work hard for everything we have. Our children should have to do the same thing.

Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 16, 2012 at 6:01 PM
2 moms liked this

And in real life, often you try your hardest and still don't "win". It's a hard lesson but a good one to learn young.

Quoting othermom:

I don't think it is right, I think they need to allow winning and losing because that is the way life it. Focus on trying their best, working hard, and improving their skills

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I agree with you ladies.   I don't feel like the field days (for example) should give the awards to all the kids.  I think the winners should be awarded for their hard work.  Now I don't have an issue with everyone who participated and tried getting a certificate of recognition but the winners do need the special recognition.  Same way with grades.  The exceptional students should get the awards.  Every child has to find what they are good at and shoot to succeed in that area.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)