Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Watching the Olympics Together: Strong Women Overload!

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

Who else is jazzed to watch the Olympics? The Opening Ceremonies are only two days away. This is the first Olympics my daughter will view and be "into." We've already talked about all of the different sports and events, and how the athletes work and train and focus for years on this passion, on this one goal...and if that isn't strength, I don't know what is.

I know in the weeks to come we will be talking about how to win with grace, what it takes to win, and how to gracefully lose, the ideas of feeling confident in your abilities that you have honed for so long...I mean, the opportunity for conversation about self-esteem and the chances to point out some pretty awesome role models are plentiful. There are so many amazing female athletes to note -- I can't name them all -- but here are a few I'll be rooting for with my daughter.

Carmelita Jeter - She has clocked in as second-fastest woman ever in the 100 meters. We will see if she can bring home a medal with that speed.

Lolo Jones  -- A perfect springboard for conversations on how to get back up after a huge set-back. The famous hurdler has her goals set on a medal, which she missed out on after tripping in the last Olympics.  We will hear her story often, I bet.

Missy Franklin - This young swimmer is a world-record setter and definitely one to watch.  

Natalie Coughlin - The swimmer already has 11 medals, but could make Olympics history: if she wins in London, she will become the most decorated American female Olympic athlete.

The U.S. Women's Soccer Team - They won gold the prior two Olympics...will they make it a third? This amazing group of women is the definition of strength in a variety of bodies and personalities.

Mariel Zagunis - She is back! Watch her fence to try to win her third medal and keep her title as the top-ranked saber fencer.

The U.S. Women's Gymnastics Team -- Watch these teens -- Gabrielle Douglas, Jordyn Wieber, Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney and Kyla Ross -- vie for medals on everything from the uneven bars and the balance beam. Focus, determination and hardwork will be topics of conversation on your couch.

Will you watch the Olympics with your daughter? What are your favorite events?

ŠiStockphoto.com/JayKJay21

by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:02 AM

We don't have tv so we won't watch. My favorite event is swimming though. My Husband could have gone to the Olympics in swimming had he not quit in college so it always makes me wonder, what would it be like if he were there right now. What would life be like. 

mallowcup17
by Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:06 AM

yes we have been watching the trials all summer. shes really looking forward to track and field. :) i love watching that and swimming. i love the olympics!

AzariahsMother
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM
No, DD and I are not into it. May catch some just by flipping, but not watching.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Jul. 25, 2012 at 8:36 AM
I don't think she would really watch them yet. Hopefully in a few more years.
4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never really got into watching the Olympics.  My kids don't really care for it either.  But then we don't really watch a lot of TV.

la_bella_vita
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Interesting, I was just discussing the olympics with my daugther : )

Harris06
by Megan on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:50 PM

I don't really care too much about the Olympics. I mean, I like the gymnastics and figure skating but that's about it. I don't usually watch them and I don't get into all of the hype and idolatry. 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

We're very excited about watching since there are 6 from this area who are in the Olympics. She's met two of them Hyleas Fountain in the Heptathlon event and Ryan Lochte-swimming who let the kids in the swim program see and touch his medals, at the YMCA where his dad and mom coach.

kurtkamkaitsmom
by Kerry on Jul. 26, 2012 at 3:18 PM

yes, we will watching the Olympics... I played volleyball   and ran track so those are two  we are differently watching....:O)

mrswillie
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 8:29 AM
No. I use to watch the gymnastics though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN