Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever feel like society looks down on you, like you are oppressed or weak because you stay home and don't have a career outside of the home?

What do you do to encourage your DD that being a SAHM IS (despite how society may portray it) a wonderful thing?

I got a phone call from a telemarketer, trying to sell me some kind of student loan or continuing education. When I told him I wasn't interested, he seriously tried to make me feel like  some stupid white trash because I would dare to choose to stay home with my babies.

Now, I totally get that being a SAHM isn't for everyone, but neither is being a carreer woman, and I just get tired sometimes of being made to feel like I am weak or stupid for my choice (because I know I am not)

Blessed Mommy to: Angel Baby : 07/08/08  Alexander Jayce:05/21/09 Kalea Brielle: 06/03/10 Michael Zachary 09/22/11 Angel Baby: 07/02/12

My adventerous life!

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Replies (21-24):
SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I've done both. At first from choice. DH and I saved and waited 4 years to have the first child so that we could be established and have enough for me to stay home. Unfortunately he became disabled some years later, and I had to go back to work to support the family with two kids. I'm now at home again. I think those who disparage stay at home moms are clueless, so I often fill them in. I think there's often jealously involved-from men that they feel they don't make enough on their own to support their family and from women that they feel that they're neglecting their children-neither of which is based on logic but emotions. Each family has to make decisions based on their particular situation. I've also heard stay at home moms speak of workiing moms as if they don't care about their children-wrong! All said-both stay at home moms and work outside the home moms have difficult but rewarding lives, and neither should look down on the other for their choices.

aneela
by on Aug. 22, 2012 at 11:32 AM

i am and i dont think what other ppl think about me lol...

KristinRox
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I dont think people look down on me.. or at least I dont know anyone that does. In fact I find the opposite. When my kids doctor/teacher/principle/pediatrician ask me if I work or if Im a sahm, and I answer that Im a sahm I get a lot of praise. 

I find its closed minded people that dont even matter that decide to judge moms for being there for their children. 

Samanthamommy
by Member on Aug. 22, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I am not a SAHM.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN