Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Confident Daughters Day 11: Talk Tech

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this

Does your daughter have a cell phone or spend time online? Take time today to discuss technology.

Talk about cyberbullying, sending photos, de-friending and sexting. To many moms and mentors, these terms may seem like a foreign language. To girls, however, these words represent a new concern that they have to deal with daily: digital drama. Girls' self-esteem and confidence can be impacted immensely as they navigate social media and contend with these issues.

Check out A Girl’s Guide to the Digital World for tips and information!

Have you talked to your daughter about being respectful both offline and online?

typing

Did you miss yesterday's activity? Here it is! Don't forget, you need to respond to 10 of the challenge posts to be entered to win the $50 gift card! Sign up here for daily reminders

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fraujones
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

She's plays some online kid's games, but she knows to come get mommy if someone acts strange. So far I supervise her internet activity. 

4kidz916
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I have talked with my kids about being nice online.  They know they aren't to say or do anything online that they wouldn't do or say in person. 

Mrs.Andrews
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My girls are too young for phones or computers. But they won't be allowed to have phones until they start driving. And there will be very strict rules about how they use the phones. I hope to teach my children to be respectful and polite in all areas of their lives so by the time they have phones, I won't need to give them a separate talk about it.

faery_mama
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM
She's only 5 but we talk about being a bully and being bullied.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justme782
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM
My daughter doesn't have a cell phone yet. I plan on getting her one for her 13th birthday in November. She goes online once in a while and we have talked to her about her privacy, not to give out any personal information to anyone. She only plays games though I do not allow her to have a facebook, myspace or twitter. Too young for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skippette14
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM
My daughter ( well all my kids) are not allowed online with out adults present. Usually it's just to play kinect on the Xbox.

My daughter does have a cell phone she can only call and text certain #'s. the phone is on her grandmothers plan and is watched very closely.
We do skype from time to time with some out of state family and friends, but only I have the password to log in.

We are very open about the dangers of online and what is ok and not ok
mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Bump she's only 2 but likes my ipod
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
malexander2009
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM
This is one of the reason I'm glad we have cricket for a cell phone provider. We can block picture messages and what not. I fear what's going to be after facebook. Because it will be several years before she can use it. Like 13 or so years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blg5484
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

well she is two so that is a big fat NO she plays a few games on my phone and I dont plan on her having a phone of her own till she is MUCH older I think its crazy for a 7 or 8 yr old to have a phone

babynurse454
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM
Our dd is 10.... she has a I-Phone but can only get on the internet, we don't have it hooked up for phone use,her uncle gave it to her. She does have her own laptop and we lmited the use, We also have it hooked up to MSN FAMILY SAFETY, so i get emails of every site visited and i have parental controls on her computer. She can only send and receive emails from those on her safe list and i have to be the one to add anybody. We talk a lot about cyber bullying, we talk about everything! I have made sure she is comfortable and can come to me and dh about anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN