Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raising Confident Daughters Day 11: Talk Tech

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your daughter have a cell phone or spend time online? Take time today to discuss technology.

Talk about cyberbullying, sending photos, de-friending and sexting. To many moms and mentors, these terms may seem like a foreign language. To girls, however, these words represent a new concern that they have to deal with daily: digital drama. Girls' self-esteem and confidence can be impacted immensely as they navigate social media and contend with these issues.

Check out A Girl’s Guide to the Digital World for tips and information!

Have you talked to your daughter about being respectful both offline and online?

typing

Did you miss yesterday's activity? Here it is! Don't forget, you need to respond to 10 of the challenge posts to be entered to win the $50 gift card! Sign up here for daily reminders

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
PhyllisGB
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

She sometimes tells ME not to friend people back whom I don't know (I usually friend them back as part of my ministry & have been fooled a couple of times), so she is well-aware of the cyber-dangers. 

iamfreeatlast
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My daughter does have a cell phone and she gets on the computer alot.  I monitor the cell and computer.  She always comes and ask me if I know someone that is trying add her as a friend and she doesn't know them.  I check her phone to see who she is talking to and texting and then I will check the computer.  We have talked about cyberbullying and all that.  She had a person that was texting her that she was fighting with.  This girl went as far as saying that she was going to kill her and some other kids.  She brought that to my attention and I went to the school and told them and the police was involved.  She does not have the access to send and receive pictures on her phone.

TurboMom81
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM

My girls are too young for Internet and phones but I did talk to Hikari the importance of being kind to others before she started all day Kindergarten.   My husband and I both agree that any online time that they do have will be in an area where we can see what they are doing and who they are talking to.

Paigesmommy78
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

to young for this

Chris3kids1dog
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

She is 11 no phone or email account (wants one though) but has a ipod touch she goes online with and facetime but all of my kids have been told that if they can not say it to their grandparents or in front of Father in church then they should not be doing it.  We also have watched the cyberbulling and American Girl Karissa movie.  She has come to me and knows to when things come up on her ipod

MommyLovesAri
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:17 PM

I do talk to my daughter about respectful ways to communicate but she is too young to have a cyber bullying/sexting conversation with just yet. But I most certainly plan on talking about it as she gets older

NavyBussGirl
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I always read all of the texting convos she has on my phone and if I see anything I don't like from her or whoever she is talking to we talk about it.

Usually I just fall back on "does/will this behavior make you or I proud?" If not, then don't do it.

ldmrmom
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:38 PM

My daughter is 7 1/2. She plays online sites like Nat Geo's Animal Jam and Disney's Club Penguin. We talk about internet safety - how just because someone says they are 7 does not mean they are. :) We also talk about how important it is to be the same online as you would be in person. If you wouldn't tell someone something to their face, don't tell them online.

othermom
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

She doesn't yet, but when she starts to I will talk to her about it more

MZ.B777
by Bobbi on Jul. 23, 2012 at 1:42 PM

My DD is 16 she has a cell phone but, she knows I can take it away at anytime and have for punishment the computer I have access to her facebook and she knows this also. So, all in all she does pretty good and is very respectful she knows I wont accept any less.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)